Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to model this cladding?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
794 Views, 3 Replies

What is the best way to model this cladding?

What would be the best way to model this type of cladding in 3D MAX?

Any info would be great, thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
hathMirx
in reply to: Anonymous

This jpg is discernably "tileable"...

Anyway you choose to create it, using some 3D primitive like a tube, stitch together each "squozen" bit (wiki -> Escher). Then, once you've got your panel to size, using material editor place a GRADIENT RAMP on the assembly. This'll provide a z-depth heightfeild on that semi-flat "plane". Then Render-to-Texture using the slot for DIFFUSE and out should come a greyscale heightfeild image file of .tga extention.

By dialling-in the resolution in some of these dialogs, go high (in other words), you'll get an image suitable for use on the stack in the DISPLACEMENT modifier. And there you'll be able to dial-in even more detail once you've applied that to your plane or on whatever you plan to do the final "relief".
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Mike if you like modeling as I do, you could get it this way. (See attachment)
I started with a simple element created through a loft compound object.

ivan

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

i am not in anyway very good at modeling in 3ds max but i would try using paint deformation, i was messing and did something crude, though i think it would be hard to get it looking right,lol, anyway just a try

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report