Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

viewport lag from 1 tree

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
636 Views, 3 Replies

viewport lag from 1 tree

I've attached an image on what I'm working on.

It's my first tree, or first anything really. 

I wanted leaves so I started with one box and made it a weird shape, then cloned it 5 times and grouped that. then pasted that group 5 times and grouped all of them, then so on until i had these massive clusters of leaves. there's about 5000 of those little individual boxes at the moment. It is lagging alot BUT I checked task manager and cpu, ram and gpu are all below 30% usage yet the viewport is lagging to much. I tried performance mode but nothing really changes.

Me being a Karen, I thought this would work, and it looks good! is there a way to fix this lag or can someone suggest how to stop it lagging? can i save this asset and import it somehow? Thanks. I want about 20 of these trees in my scene in unity for a class project. 

SPECS:

core i5 - 9400f

Radeon rx 5700

32GB 3200mhz ram

tree1.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
bioclone_ax45
in reply to: Anonymous

Not used to work with plants (tbh I barely expended a couple of days on this) but As long as I know most times the leaves are made using only planes, and not cubes (that are actually at least 6 times heavier if not more)

Also, to compare, and/or get easy props, you can use the AEC Extended -> Foliage option (on the basic shapes, using the drowdown menu) , to spawn some decent trees for your proyect, that are based on planes if im not wrong

Message 3 of 4
CAMedeck
in reply to: Anonymous

I would recommend ungrouping all the leaves, select them all, and use the Collapse utility to make them one object.  

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: CAMedeck

thankyou, this works very well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report