Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewport bug?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
gaslighter
387 Views, 3 Replies

Viewport bug?

Greetings to all forum participants, please help a newbie 🙂, I cannot find the reason of the strange behavior of the edges.

While modeling, I notice that some of my edges sometimes shift after QuickSlice / Connect.

How do I cut:
1. I align the viewport through the cube in the upper right corner on one of the sides (for example, in front).
2. Select snapping to vertices.
3. Activate quick slice.
4. With snap to the vertices, I make a cut.
5. Disable Quick Slice.

The cut is smooth and looks like a single line, but after working with other parts of the model and returning to the place of the cut, I sometimes find that one of the edges has shifted.

Please help to find the reason for such a shift, it occurs along all axes of the model with random edges.

granconick_0-1681484743289.png

I'm using 3Ds Max 2024.

UPD: After reloading 3ds max one of my crooked models appears to be correctly aligned. Is that problem related to the 2024 version?

UPD v2: Seems to related to the ViewCube (top right corner) bug. Additional screenshots included.

granconick_1-1681487013298.png

granconick_2-1681487048091.png

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
RobH2
in reply to: gaslighter

I think I understand what you are doing.

When cutting and slicing, if different length edges are being cut, the new vertex often winds up in different places along each edge that was split creating a zig-zag or sorts. What you can do is select all of the new verts in 'Vertex' sub-object mode and in the 'Edit Geometry' section find the item 'Make Planar' with 'X,Y,Z' to the right of it. Click the approprite coordinate to align all of the new verts in a perfect plane. Then, while they are still selected, you may need to drag them to where you need them. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 4
gaslighter
in reply to: RobH2

Thank you for the answer, the fact is that when centering through the cube in the upper right corner, the edges are sometimes displayed as if they are not on the same plane, but with a slight "shake" of the cube and re-centering, they are correctly displayed, which suggests that it's just a viewport bug. 🤔

Message 4 of 4
RobH2
in reply to: gaslighter

Glad you figured it out and that a workaround works for you. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report