Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verticies visibility

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
26260 Views, 14 Replies

Verticies visibility

Hi,

I'm using 3dMax 9.
When I modify a polygon using vertex selection, I cannot see the blue dot as vertices (or barely see them).
Is there a way to make them bigger, more visible?

thanks
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Go to Customize menu > Preferences > Viewports panel > Viewport Parameters group > Show Vertices as Dots > Size.

ps: It's simple courtesy to at least acknowledge the answer to your question (cf. your previous thread).
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks Caprier....Once again you helped me!
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

On the same topic, but from a different angle....

I'm editing a complex polygon mesh, and I want to clone a set a vertexes, and then build additional faces on to these points.

But the vertexes are not visible. They are there. I can select them, move them, etc, but they only become visible after a face is built on to them.

This is not an issue of vertex display size, selecting dots (big or small) in the customize dialog box has no effect, nor is this an issue concerning directions of normals, as the created vertexes are not visible in a back-side viewport. And no, clicking on Unhide vertexes is no help either.

Anyone know of a way to force 3ds max to display new vertexes?

Thanks in Advance.
Dug
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

If I select verts from an epoly and shift-clone them, the new ones are visible as red dots (selected) floating in the scene. When I switch to polygon sub-object level to build faces from them, those verts disappear.
If this is what you're facing, you can check the Vertex Ticks option in the Object Properties dialog. This forces the vertices to be displayed whatever mode you're in.
Not really sure we're talking of the same issue though...
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks Caprier.

It was as I was most afraid. When you said you were seeing red vertices after shift cloning, i realized it had to be a graphics card / driver issue.

Oh goody!

Cheers.
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

If the Vertex Ticks option is not checked the cloned vertices are visible in Vertex sub-object mode or in Poly and Element mode when the Create Polygon button is activated, otherwise they are invisible.
However, sometimes max has the bad habit to hide vertices, I don’t know why. If this is the issue, try to delete the File properties (Customize, Preferences, Files, uncheck Save file Properties, then save the file, and open it again.)
This helped me a couple of times, after it you can check the Save file Properties again.

ivan
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

Ivan, something that might be related.
There is a sequence of actions that make vertices invisible. Not sure why.
If you add a modifier that has a vertex sub-object level (like a MeshSmooth or an Edit Poly) to an Editable Mesh or Editable Poly, then switch to the vertex sub-object level in the modifier, then go back to the editable object and activate the Show End Result toggle and finally delete the modifier either by right-clicking on it or by using the Remove Modifier button, when you go to the vertex sub-object level of the Editable Mesh or Poly, the verts are not showing anymore.
Apart from using the Vertex Ticks option in the Object Properties - which makes them visible in all modes - the only way I've found to bring them back is by adding a modifier - again -, go to its vertex sub-object level - again - and then delete it. Now the object is back to normal.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

Hi Cap,

I was able to reproduce the issue (Did it in Max 9, to be sure we are on the same orbit 🙂 ), it is like you describe it. I used an Editable Poly with Edit Poly modifier on the top of it.
Anyway there are two other ways to bring the invisible vertices back:
1. After the Edit Poly is deleted and the Vertices are gone, just convert the remained Editable Poly to Editable Poly again and the vertices became visible.
2. Save and reopen the file the vertices are back.
This way my suggestion about the deletion of File properties is obviously redundant if this is the only case, when this oddity appears.

ivan
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

1. After the Edit Poly is deleted and the Vertices are gone, just convert the remained Editable Poly to Editable Poly again and the vertices became visible.

ivan

This is just GREAT!
Fast and simple. Many thanks, Ivan!!! :coolgrin:
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

You are very welcome Cap!
I’m extremely glad I was able to help you.
(Anyway I’m afraid that our beloved Max hides vertices by other circumstances as well and this simple trick is not a panacea.)

ivan (location: Northern Alps)
:coolsmile:
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Hi everybody

I had this issue too, in max 2009, i have solved this problem by toggle the light on/off ctrl+l

Hope it will work for you too
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

after so many attempt i think i found y they are hidden. In Vertex mode in the Edit Geometry there is few tools one of them is UNHIDE ALL it should fix it hope this helped.

Message 14 of 15
staedler1822000

this one does solved the problem. thanks much!

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Couldn't figure it out, how did you notice that!!! 

That helped me! thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report