Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UVW Mapping - Expand polygon selection troubles

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
s187423
563 Views, 6 Replies

UVW Mapping - Expand polygon selection troubles

Hello, I'm experiencing some trouble with the 'Expand polygon selection to seams' tool when unwrapping UVW's.

It's been working fine up until today, all the seams are created on my model and I've baked the material ID's and such already but needed to make some alterations to the seams, but for some reason using the tool now expands the polygon selection to the entirety of the object rather than just to the seams and I'm unable to work out why.

I haven't found any documentation online that relates to this so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dmitriy.shpilevoy
in reply to: s187423

I think it expects different set of seams, made with tools next to that expander.

Select a face in UVW editor with "select by element UV toggle" on. Or you can expand selection by spamming "grow UV selection"

dmitriyshpilevoy_0-1701069629561.png

Message 3 of 7
s187423
in reply to: dmitriy.shpilevoy

Thanks for the response 🙂

I had tried this whilst trying to fix it but it does make things a lot more difficult when it worked as expected prior to this 😅

Message 4 of 7
dmitriy.shpilevoy

You can make your own expander button, with blackjack and stuff

$.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap2.selectElement()

Message 5 of 7
s187423
in reply to: dmitriy.shpilevoy

Oh cool thanks! Sorry but what is blackjack exactly?

Also, some additional context since the original post - After exporting the material ID's I'd set again after this problem with the polygon selection, they seem to be almost corrupted? The images are screenshots from the Material ID Map on my model in Quixel Mixer; when checking the material id's in 3DS Max they're fine and correlate so to what i set them as, so i imagine something's gone wrong somewhere in the baking process.

image.png

image2.png

  

Message 6 of 7
dmitriy.shpilevoy

Oh cool thanks! Sorry but what is blackjack exactly?

That just a partial quote from Futurama.

As for broken IDs, try to add Turn To Poly modifier, collapse the stack (check if IDs are still fine in max), export as FBX and pick its latest version in export settings. Also try to import it back to max or any other program that can handle the file and show IDs in some way to check if file gets corrupted at export or it is Quixel that does something funky.

Message 7 of 7
dmitriy.shpilevoy

@moyemoye011 did you tried what GPT suggests here yourself before copypasting it?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report