Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UVS of non-normal faces?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
477 Views, 4 Replies

UVS of non-normal faces?

Hello,AD community 🙂 

I'm very new to 3DS Max and modelling in general, and I never had to do something like this: I finished a low poly model with a large cloth cape that was originally a plane. Being a bidimensional geometry it only has one face per poly, the one with the normals and the "bad" side. Our teacher always tells us to flip the faces until we get the normal side while modelling (normal faces are seen in red, the bad ones look gray-ish) but he never really explained why. Now I'm unwrapping UVs and of course the character's cape needs to be seen from both sides, so I need textures and UVs on both of them... But the cape keeps being a plane. My question (it might be the most stupid question ever) is: can I open UVs from that "back" side of a face without trouble?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
don_3259
in reply to: Anonymous

yes you can do it easily show us screen shots if this making any trouble...thanks

Autodesk Student Amassdor
Guest & Visiting Lecturer
Ali Sajjad
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: don_3259

Thanks for your response! This is my character, and that's the cape. I didn't project the front-view-facing UVs of the cape you see there, as the ones with the normals are the back-view ones. I would like to paint different textures on each side, but I couldn't find any option on the Unwrap modifier to help me do so, as the polygons counted as one. It's not the backfacing option, I already tried it, that one simply selects the whole polygon.

Thanks again 🙂char.jpg

Message 4 of 5
don_3259

you have do uvw wrap by using faces separately by each section selection

Autodesk Student Amassdor
Guest & Visiting Lecturer
Ali Sajjad
Message 5 of 5
bob.bernstein

Your teacher should be all over this.  Have you asked him/her?  If you want to decorate faces that aren't there, you need to put them there.  "shell" modifier will do that, and you will be prompted to inform max how thick you want your cape.  Once you do that, you'll have the ability to assign uv coordinates to both sides.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report