Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using group objects and snap to assemble systems.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
quentin.holmes
390 Views, 2 Replies

Using group objects and snap to assemble systems.

I have groups of objects that are track sections. I would like to be able to set up a snap system so that i can just snap them end to end to create systems. But what i thought would be so easy is not. I tried Point helpers but with limited success.. I also just tried using Nurb CV and Point snap options and putting a single Nurb line in my track section group.

The only way i can get these to work is to change my Transform center to "Use Transform Coordinate Center"

If i do not set it to that then when i select my group object using one of the snaps i have set up it goes from using the hover over snap point to jumping to the center of the object.. When i change my Transform center it works awesome.. But if i copy an object it does so around the Transform center of the project i think 0,0,0 and that is super annoying as i make many copies or instances of these objects so they jump off to the side.

Is there an easier way to do this.. it does not seem to be that difficult of a thing to try and do.

Using Max 2019

Thanks

Q

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

I managed a version of what i wanted.. works ok if there are no other options.

I used a Nurb line. use the Nurb CV and Point snap options. Put the line in the group object.

Change the Transform to View and Use transform Center. Objects snap together very nicely and if i want to make a drag copy of an object which i do a lot i make sure i use the same snap points to drag to the new location. Then it does not use the center of the view and jump to the side.

Pretty glad i figured this much out. Saves me a ton of time. But there should be a snap helper object or a new snap option that is specific to the Point helper or something like that to make this seamless. In my opinion.

Thanks

Q

Message 3 of 3

I learned that you can not have multiple objects selected for this to work. Not sure why but it moves the Snap point and does not work properly. 

Q

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report