Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a spline to split another spline?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1767 Views, 4 Replies

Using a spline to split another spline?

Hi, I'm pretty new to Max, coming from Rhino. What is the equivalent of Rhino's 'split' function? I have two splines that overlap, I want to use one to split the other one in two parts. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
leeminardi
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't know how to split one spline at its intersection point with another spline but here is how to trim one spline with another.

Select one of the splines and in the Modify tab choose Attach and click the other spline.  Now unselect Attach and choose the Spline sub-object. Select one of the two original splines, click Trim and click the portion of the spline to be removed.

lee.minardi
Message 3 of 5
bob.bernstein

Use the trim command...to set a vert on  one of the lines at the intersection.  To do this, you must attach the two lines into one shape.  IF you wanted the original line to exist but just have a vert at the exact intersection, I drew a second line over the one that gets trimmed.  Then I divided that line, make a vert exist on it, and then snapped that vert to the one created by trim.  then some clean up.

I need to make a coordinate system align with the line that has the vert I wish to move...do that by snapping a tape helper to the line, and using pick in the drop down to create a coordinate system to use.  

certainly fussier than rhino or autocad, but this isn't really what max does best.

Message 4 of 5
rode3d
in reply to: bob.bernstein

This 3dsMax plugin is great for that:

Spline Combiner

http://www.splinedynamics.com/spline-combiner/

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I'm pretty new to Max, coming from Rhino. What is the equivalent of Rhino's 'split' function? I have two splines that overlap, I want to use one to split the other one in two parts. 

Use ShapeBooleans.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report