Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unwrap problems

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
598 Views, 1 Reply

unwrap problems

hello good afternoon, I have a fairly simple problem, I hope someone can help me, I have a model with 1000 polygons and one with 500 the two objects are for a game, the one for 1000 is used for exhibition mode and the one for 500 for the game, what I need is that the 2 have the same texture coordinates but when I reduce the polygons the uvs are transformed, what can I do?
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
10DSpace
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

You kind of did this in reverse of what is optimal. Specifically, it is easier to unwrap the lower poly model and then add a turbo smooth or openSubdiv  on top of Unwrapped model for the higher poly version.   

...but when I reduce the polygons the uvs are transformed, what can I do?

How exactly are you reducing the polygons?  Any time you make changes to the mesh (deleting or adding edges for example) of an Unwrapped model, you run the risk of breaking the UV Mapping.  It might be pretty similar, but it will not be a perfect match.  You can manually tweak the UV Unwrap of your lower poly version to match the corresponding parts of the model texture on the higher poly version by displaying the texture map in the Unwrap UV Editor window and comparing your results to the high poly version in your viewport.   It will take some patience, but it is achievable.  That way the same texture will line up the same on each version of the model.

But in the future, note that it is a lot easier to do the UV Unwrapping on the a lower poly version of the model. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report