Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triangle edges on surfaces unwanted...

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
4938 Views, 9 Replies

Triangle edges on surfaces unwanted...

Iam getting these triangle edges on my object they are edges of triangles and I have switched the driver to DX9 but Iam still getting these.

Currently Im using Max 2017

How do I get rid of them they are annoying.

SHADOW_PROBLEMS.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Iam going to attach the file.

But now I pressed something and I tried to change the object to a grey object with black lines it only stays black and I cannot get it to change

please help.

Message 3 of 10
bob.bernstein

Its just showing you that the quad poly you created are not planar.  You need more geometry before planar polys can portray that shape.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: bob.bernstein

I reset Max and redid the model and its not doing the triangle thing now.

What about the model being solid black and when I try to add a material it doesnt change?

Message 5 of 10
don_3259

share your file here i check it

Autodesk Student Amassdor
Guest & Visiting Lecturer
Ali Sajjad
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: don_3259

I would if I could but I downloaded the update to max and now max is broken and will not startup.

Message 7 of 10
don_3259

just install all new version

Autodesk Student Amassdor
Guest & Visiting Lecturer
Ali Sajjad
Message 8 of 10
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

Chances are that a plugin was interfering with Max, not the 1.1 update.  Is this all working for you now?  (It's usually a line of unneeded code entered by a specific plugin.)  

That being said, the triangles you are referencing in your original post are under the hood but editable.  Every face in 3D is really a triangle, your polygons are made up of 2 triangles each, but those triangulation edges are hidden.  You can edit them with Edit Triangulation.  (Scroll to bottom.)  

But the reason it's happening to you is that your polys aren't planar, so you're seeing the folding of the internal triangles on that polygon.  In shaded mode these triangles are usually smoothed over, but you have the viewport set to Facet which shows them.  

facets.png

Just switch back to default shading and you should be set.  Can you please try that for me?

Best Regards,

Message 9 of 10
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on this issue?

Best Regards,

Message 10 of 10

Does this trangulation affect rendering? and if it does, how do I keep the polygons in a planar state if I was bending the whole object for example 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report