Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symmetry modifier sizing problem

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
560 Views, 2 Replies

Symmetry modifier sizing problem

Hi. I'm new with 3DS max and kind of new in 3D in general, I'm following some online courses to improve my skills but i've run into a problem with a modifier, I'm sure it has a pretty simple explanation but anyway.

When I try the symmetry modifier on an object, for some reason the parts that are affected by the modifier don't match up with the size of the original geometry. In the attachment i made an example. I used the exact same box on both sides and one side is perfectly aligned to it, but the other one seems a lot bigger. 

How can I match the sizes so I can have perfect symmetry?

Thanks

size_symmetry.jpg

Labels (4)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
10DSpace
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

Check for nonuniform scaling of the base object before you add the symmetry modifier.  To do so, make sure "View" or "World" are selected for the Reference Coordinate System and select the Scale transform tool and then check the values in the x, y and z fields at bottom of max interface.  If any are not all positive 100%, you have nonuniform scaling and you need to reset Xform as described in image below: 

nonUniform scaling.png

After resetting Xform anc collapsing as above, try applying the symmetry modifier and see if you get the expected result.

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: 10DSpace

Thank you very much! That did the trick. 

Anotación-2020-07-19-203216.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report