Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swift loop problems

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1539 Views, 2 Replies

Swift loop problems

Hi - I've just recently switched to max 2021 and am having some problems with swift loop feature I would really like to understand and solve if possible

1) Swift loop now works on hidden elements of the mesh.  See first image
Is it possible to disable this?
When working on complex meshes I hide parts that are in the way of modeling or are making things hard to see. This would allow me to insert or remove loops from parts I'm currently focusing on. But now it seems that even if I hide a part of the mesh "swift loop" detects it. Meaning I would need to detach it so I can work on the rest of the mesh. It is extremely annoying and makes my workflow significantly slower

SwiftLoop_01.jpg

2) Loop detection is out of whack when removing loops. See second image. I want to remove a loop. shift+click removes a completely unrelated loop somewhere on the mesh. I need to zoom WAAAAY out for swift loop to remove the one I actually need. But this sometimes isn't viable because there are several loops close to each other. I have no way of accurately hitting the one I need
SwiftLoop_02.jpg

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
RobinBall6995
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm not sure about the first issue. I've never tried to swiftloop on a partially hidden object. i'm surprised that previously worked. I would have expected it to cut the loop on the hidden geo as well if it was part of the loop. Maybe that is a change in behaviour.

The second issue could be related to system unit scale. I've certainly seen raycasts fail to land where you expect when using cms as system units or when far from the origin. 

You could maybe try using user view instead of perspective as it's perspective that causes problems. Or maybe adjusting the clip planes.

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

First issue used to behave just like you said. It would add/remove the loop all the way around, even if parts are hidden.
But if the entire element is hidden it would be ignored altogether. So it was possible to hide "floating" elements and work on parts of the mesh independently. Sadly it seems that's not an option any more...

Switching to user view seems to be a solid workaround for the second issue - appreciate it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report