Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange shadowing of objects

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
teplan92
741 Views, 6 Replies

Strange shadowing of objects

Hi, please, why my object are going to strange black colours while I am moving with camera?
It is frustrating little bit. Thanks of help

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
RobH2
in reply to: teplan92

I appears that the door have no depth. You might have coincident vertexes Maybe rebuild that door or try to pull the two surfaces apart.

Also, it looks like it could be an issue with Smoothing Group IDs. Select the whole object and go to 'poly' sub-object and 'select all' polys. Then go to 'Polygon:Smoothing Groups' menu and choose 'Clear All' and see if it helps. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 7
teplan92
in reply to: RobH2

I tried what you suggested but it didn´t help. Maybe it will be problem with graphics. But thanks for answer

Message 4 of 7
RobH2

If you can upload the file I'd be happy to look at it. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 5 of 7
BenBisares

Looks like a classic case of z-fighting to me. Basically if you're working on a large scale and you have objects that are thin you can have a situation where the polygons of the thin surface "fight" each other to show up in front.

Solution is simple thankfully. Enable "Viewport Clipping" and drag the near clip slider up, just a pixel or two, enough to make the z-fighting go away. You'll also get a nice Viewport refresh performance increase too.

z_Fighting.gif

Ben Bisares
Tags (1)
Message 6 of 7
RobH2
in reply to: BenBisares

That's a great tip Ben. It's amazing the things you learn about Max over the decades. I've been using it for 25-years and didn't know that a little "touch" of viewport clipping could mitigate z-fighting. Nice.... I hope it helps the OP but I suspect it can be fixed by correcting some modeling issues. I hope they upload a file to look at. 

Again though, love this tip. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
teplan92
in reply to: BenBisares

Thank you very much !!! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report