Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snap - Pivot Point

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2632 Views, 5 Replies

Snap - Pivot Point

I want to snap the pivot point to an end point of a spline. So both "Pivot Point" and "End Point" are ON in the snap settings.

When snapping to the pivot point the mouse pointer has to hover over the spline, however this makes it want to snap to the end point. Sometimes there is, say, one pixel where it is able to snap to the pivot point, sometimes there's none.

Wouldn't it be more logical to make it snap to the pivot point when hovering over the pivot point? The pivot point is visible anyway when "Affect Pivot Point Only" is activated.

MLB

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I do this with snap to vertex, and you acquire the pivot on the object bounds then snap to the spline's vertex. Does not always work the first time, but possible with practice.

-Shea
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Practice to snap to something!?

MLB
Message 4 of 6
Tim_Wilbers

Create a Dummy.
Assign it the Spline for a Path Constraint.
Align the Spline's Pivot Point to the Dummy's.
Delete the Dummy.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Practice to snap to something!? - Yeah, learning where to acquire the pivot and then snapping to the vertex, two or three times & you should have enough 'practice' to do it right every time.

-S
Message 6 of 6
Tim_Wilbers

Shea,

There is a little issue, which is really not an issue, but it looks like an issue, until you execute the steps.

When I try to 3D Snap on the Pivot Point with Affect Pivot Only active, I do not get the viewport cyan-cross indication that I've gotten the pivot point. But, as soon as I click and move, the Snap rubber-band appears and does indeed start from the prior location of the pivot point and the Move cursor jumps to the centroid of the pivot point as it should. Drag and release and its done.

Much easier, and far fewer steps.

If the pivot point is too close to a vertex, then first move it away from the spline. Turn on Snaps and move it as desired.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report