Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smooth quads for CNC cutting! :)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
518 Views, 2 Replies

smooth quads for CNC cutting! :)

Hi folks!

I'm a long time spectator of the 'Area' so now it's time for me to post sth. and I start off with a big 'HELP' scream! ^^
It's all about modeling and I'm near running mental since I'm scavenging the iNet since 1 1/2 weeks to find a solution. I know MAX is unusual for producing real-world things... but hey, it's my first weapon of choice for modeling this project before I head over to Inventor.

As you can see in my pic (boot of the car) I would like to have 'CLEAN' quads since this structure-data should be send to Inventor, converted to sheet metal and send to a CNC-cutter. And YES low-poly-structure should exactly be like that with quads and tris mixed like that. What I definitely need to get rid off is the underlying tris - I know about triangulation and poly-structure... I mean the 'SEAMS' produced by not complete planar vertices (I guess)!

So here are my attempts:

- unwrap-UVW: (to finally have data for cnc-cutting); this 'flattens' the model, but produces some awkward edges and skews things!

- Pepakura-Designer: www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/ (for producing a flat-poly-map to export as DWG to Inventor)

- make planar: ok first attempt for 'stiffen' a quad, but this only applies to ONE poly at the time, because other polys (adjacent ones) are distorted then!

- edit normals: made it cleaner but not smooth

- optimize... narf!

- Select all edges and made a splines (but still skewed and twisted than if applied a boundary-surface in Inventor)

- MaxScripts: QUADRIFY (you see the outcome in the pic) + QUADRANGULATE (makes my model vanish!)

I've looked trough tons of blog-post and found some ppl wanting to have 'flat' polys (they ment quads) and were referred to triangulation or that faces are just underlying their quad-structure anyways.

Like this one: http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-3ds-max/modeling/need-help-keeping-polygons-planar/
It's the same problem with the mesh but with a different purpose of what he wants to do with it afterwards.

So yeah, I don't need to care about polycount (since this is a low-poly already) and if an automated command messes with my model... it's a concept-car anyway so I'll correct it afterwards!

Hm... so I'm pretty against the wall with my project and thankful for any good advice from you folks out there on your machines. But please... No 'I can't help you' or anything else like this. It's pretty, pretty serious! 😕

Many, many thx in advance!

Ben 🙂

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

try my script to unfold , it also asks for thickness of material and prepare the edges for glowing.
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/disassemble-version-1-0
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm not completely sure I understand your problem... Did alitorabi's script address your problem?

Are you asking for a method of "flattening" all the faces in your model so that it is only made up of flat quads? Like this image:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report