Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smooth conform - a bit of a newbie.

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
3080 Views, 5 Replies

Smooth conform - a bit of a newbie.

Hello.

I am fairly new to 3DS Max and I have modified a model of a mask  I like and created some detail I want to add to it. I created the detail in a DXF format, imported it, created a mesh from it and gave it some dimension in regards to thickness. My issue is that when I try to conform it to the mask shape it flattens and looks choppy.

I have read the conform tutorials and I even tried the surface divide modifier to allow more of a mesh for smooth conforming but with this method the shape I am trying to conform leaves faces that dont belong in the place they end up. It is like it is not conforming some parts of the shape to the mask and leaves them behind causing stretched out looking artifacts.

To make sure I was using conform properly I even created a new file with a sphere and a plane and was able to get good results.

Ultimately I am trying to recreate the second attachment so I can 3d print it. I had originally thought I would us Illustrator to draw vectors for the mask but I am not good at visualizing what an unwrapped mask should look like.

Can someone please help explain how to do a conform with complex meshes or offer advice on a better way to create this?

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rendermaster
in reply to: Anonymous

4 Workflows I can suggest

1 - Shapemerge - transform back your facemask to editable spline and do the shapemerge

1 - SHAPEMERGE .jpg

2.  Compound Object - CONFORM

2 - COMPOUND OBJECT CONFORM.jpg

3. MCG - Mesh Conform  

LINK: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/mcg/va-mesh-conform#attachments

3 - MCG-MESH CONFORM.jpg

4. Script - CONFORM TO SURFACE

LINK: http://www.scriptspot.com/blog/aline3d/conform-script

4 - SCRIPT-CONFORM.jpg

Ronel Katigbak Pabico

3D Generalist / Animator / Renderer/ Graphics Designer

Autodesk Student Ambassador Platinum
YouTube Channel l Linked l Facebook l Blogs

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: rendermaster

Thank you SO much. That is an excellent post.

I am starting to think my mesh is the issue. Due to the odd shape I am getting an erratic mesh that is divided really weird. I will post a pic of it when I get back to that computer if you don't mind looking at it.

---------------------------

EDIT: Oh... I see. I can't wait to try this. 

Thank you again!

Jen

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

I must be doing something wrong or I am just very bad at Max. I have tried all the methods and nothing is working as expected. In a last ditch effort here I am attaching the file. If you have time can you please check if there is something wrong with the way I modeled everything?

Thank you again for your workflow examples.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Actually here is a better file - cleaned it up. Thanks in advance.

Jen

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

So your advice worked! Thank you.

I did the Shape Merge method - the only PITA is having to individually select each poly holding control and then extruding to the desired amount. Very very slow but works so I am happy. I assume there has to be an easier way though. None of the other methods worked in Max 2017.

I will attach the Max file I finally used (in another reply) and would like to see of anyone has a quicker way or if I am doing the other methods wrong.

Thanks again 🙂

Jen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report