Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slice a part of an object by using another object (like trim)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
16916 Views, 8 Replies

Slice a part of an object by using another object (like trim)

Hi,

how can i slice (and throw away) a part of an object by using another object as the "boundary"?

For example in the attached picture "before" i want to remove the part of the stick that goes over the box. Nevertheless the box can be a much more complicated object (round with curves,etc).

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Boolean - or ProBoolean depending on your Max version.

I would play with them in a test scene until you understand how they work, and use them sparingly - they have been known to cause problems, so if there's an easier way (like slicing the object with the Slice Plane and deleting the part you don't want) then use the easier method in preference to Booleans.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Many thanks Steve,

i have tried ProBoolean/Boolean, but i really have no clue how to achieve this! With union?Intersection? What? Nothing seems to work to achieve this.

Btw, is ProBoolean stable in 3ds max 2010 as the help file suggests?
Message 4 of 9
Steve_Curley

I rarely use Booleans (of any flavour) to be honest so I couldn't really say if they're stable or not.

In this instance it may be easiest to clone the box and do a simple "subtract" i.e. subtract the box from the cane, rather than trying to preserve both operands.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Here is exactly how to do it with "Boolean"

Select one of your objects...go to "Geometry" click on "Standard primitives" then you will have a list of objects to choose from, click on "Compound objects"...select "Boolean", Then select "Pick Operad B"...ans select your other object...Then search for the word "Operation", you will have a check box...check either "Subtract A-B" or "Subtract B-A"

And that's it 😄
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Many thanks to both of you!

Just a last small question! If i convert the final 3d model to editable mesh do you know if that will remove the "not stable scene" situation that a boolean operation causes?
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Another route would be the slice plane - its located in Edit Poly -> Edit Geometry -> Slice Plane

Rotate it the correct direction and then hit slice when you like the position - then delete the faces you don't want on the other half.
Message 8 of 9
CAMedeck

Many thanks to both of you!

Just a last small question! If i convert the final 3d model to editable mesh do you know if that will remove the "not stable scene" situation that a boolean operation causes?

It will be more stable doing that. And highly recommended once the Boolean is done.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Bravo!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report