Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selection of vertices according to their height

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
marie.hubackova
684 Views, 4 Replies

Selection of vertices according to their height

I have a model for which I need to do the following thing. I want to select all vertices that have the same height in the Z axis. How to do it?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
10DSpace
in reply to: marie.hubackova

@marie.hubackova 

Can you post a screenshot of your model?  There are different approaches depending on whether the verts of interest are on the same edge loop (probably not or you wouldn't be asking) and how dense the geometry is.  For example,  I would be inclined to just create a guide plane (or thin box) through the geometry at the correct Z value and then freeze this guide and make it see through. Then line up viewport in an orthogonal view and use the rectangular selection to select the verts at the guide plane/box level.  Unless your mesh I super dense that could work.

Message 3 of 5
10DSpace

@marie.hubackova 

For an irregular and dense mesh you can add the volume select modifier to your stack and scale it way down to the width of a vertex displayed in an orthogonal view when you are zoomed way in.  Then with the Volume Select gizmo still selected, change to Move transform and then use the Transform type-in  to enter your desired Z value.  This will select all the verts at that Z value within the narrow Vol select.  

10DSpace_0-1641580728571.png

Message 4 of 5
marie.hubackova
in reply to: 10DSpace

Hello, pic attached.

Message 5 of 5
10DSpace

@marie.hubackova 

OK, you have a varying fairly high density mesh.  Try the Volume Select Method described above.  Depending on the density of the mesh at the specific Z value you are interested in, that could work.    What do you plan to do with the selected vertices?  There may be other approaches depending on your overall goal.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report