Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scaling a group of objects

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jakub_curylo
346 Views, 4 Replies

Scaling a group of objects

Hi,

This is my first post on the forum. I'm very pleased to join the Autodesk Forum members. 

I need help regarding scaling a group of object in 3Ds Max. I have to resize a plane with two other objects on it (two boxes). When scaling, the plane should change its size while the boxes cannot. In additon, scaling the plane couses the boxes on them to be in a different position relative to the plane. I need to resize the plane in such a way that the boxes do not change size and maintain their position relative to this plane (boxes should move but without change their position on the plane). How can this be accomplished?

Thanks in advance for any support.  

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CAMedeck
in reply to: jakub_curylo

Using the Select and Link tool (looks like 2 chain links) select your boxes and drag from one to the plane, linking the boxes to the plane.  To prevent them from scaling with the plane, go to your Command Panel and choose the Hierarchy tab, and click on the Link Info button.  Select your boxes individually, and uncheck the three boxes under Scale in the Inherit menu, not the Locks.  Now your boxes will move without changing size when the Plane is scaled.  Note that this will not work if you just resize the Plane, it will need to be Scaled.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
leeminardi
in reply to: CAMedeck

@CAMedeck ,  would you recommend resetting the transform after scaling to avoid potential downstream problems?

lee.minardi
Message 4 of 5
jakub_curylo
in reply to: CAMedeck

Thank you for your help. It works.
Message 5 of 5
CAMedeck
in reply to: leeminardi

@leeminardi if you do a Reset XForm on the Plane after scaling, it will get reset to it's original size and undo anything you've done.  But it is a good point.  Directly scaling an object will affect not only it's size, but other aspects like UV Mapping.  If you happen to be using Real World Map Size in your textures, they get scaled up and down as well.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report