Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resetting the bounding box

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
9959 Views, 17 Replies

Resetting the bounding box

I have a complex model that I sliced into a number of separate pieces with
the slice modifier. I capped the holes and everything went great except
that the bounding boxes for the individual pieces are larger than the pieces
themselves and rotated at different angles.
Is there someway to reset the bounding box to the size, shape, and angle of
the new object?
Thanks,
Jeff
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

>>the bounding boxes for the individual pieces are larger than the pieces
themselves and rotated at different angles.
Is there someway to reset the bounding box to the size, shape, and angle of
the new object?<<

Hey Jeff,

I couldn't reproduce the problem no matter what I did. 🙂 Ain't that the way?

However, try placing another 3D object inside you problem object, a small box for example. Do it in the Top viewport so it's axis' match the World.

Attach your object to the box, then select the box at element level and delete it. I believe the bounding box should now match the WCS and fit the object. You might have to adjust the pivot point separately, though.

Good luck in Appleton.

Ted
Message 3 of 18
JonasUssing

How about a reset X-form?

But yes, when all else fails I use the same way Ted described. Thought I was the only one.:)

- Jonas
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous

Heres the process off the top of my head - I do it alot

1. Select the Object

2. Hierarchy Tab - affect pivot only - center - reset

3. Tools tab - reset xform

4. collapse
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous

Thanks for the tips, people. They got me part of the way there. I still cannot get the bounding box to collapse to the limits of my part but it is closer and it is aligned with the World now. I have attached a picture so that you can see what it looks like.
Ted, see you at AU in a month?
Jeff
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous

>>I have attached a picture so that you can see what it looks like. <<

I don't see an attachment, Jeff. Is that on my end or your end?

Yes, I'll be at AU...see you then.

Ted
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous

I guess make sure you don't have keyframes on the object and it's not bound to a joint then do this process:

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous

Then Collapse the stack and it should have a nice new reset xform - if not make sure you don't have some stray vertex hanging out somewhere affecting the area
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous

>>if not make sure you don’t have some stray vertex hanging out somewhere affecting the area<<

Yes, that would be my suspicion if the bounding box doesn't "fit" the object after resetting. The slice operation could have left something in space. Try selecting at vertex mode near the outer bounds of the bounding box and deleting.

Ted
Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

I'll be a son of a gun! That was it. Stray vertexes (vertexi?) outside of the object. I deleted them and the box collapsed to the part. Excellent!
I gotta tell ya, you guys rule! Thanks a lot.
Jeff

BTW, I thought I attached a small JPG to my last e-mail but I guess it didn't work.
Message 11 of 18
Steve_Curley

Vertex -> Vertices

I normally click "Preview post" after adding an attachment - the image won't show, but there's a list of attached files so you can see whether the attach worked or not.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous

Correction on my part - step 3. = not "reset pivot", but should be the "transform" button below that
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

I was having the same issue and found that my problem was that the object was linked to another object.  Once I unlinked the object and Reset XForm, the bounding box collapsed nice and neat.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

Hi, I'm having the same problem. Resetting Xform and attaching a small box to the offending item and then deleting it as an element hasn't solved the problem. I think this happened due to my use of symmetry which I had to use and collapse several times. I've tried doing this with it as an editable mesh and editable poly. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

@Anonymous Are you resetting Xform first? There's a specific order. Please confirm you are doing it in this order:

1) create a new box
2) make box an Editable Poly
3) with box selected, attach the culprit obj to the box
4) change to Element mode
5) delete the box

Just want to make sure you are doing it in that order because the order is important to how the axis is aligned.

Let me know if this works.
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous

No, no it was either blindness on my part or problems I have been having with 2017 and Nvidia drivers with a 1070. There were some lone verts that somehow stuck around but I never saw them until one moment I rotated the camera at a decent distance and there they were... Mental note, remember the remove isolated verts button. I'm just sort of coming back after a 10 year hiatus only to find not only have I forgotten more then I could have imagined, the interface is now both familiar AND different at the same time. Add on to that the increase in quality expected from you due to the changes in tech and it's a daunting set of challenges.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous

Cheers. Glad you caught it. I've taken the last couple years off Max to concentrate on learning Unity/Unreal. I recently had to bust out an animation and the good news is that it's like riding a bike: a little wobbly at first but you quickly remember the fundamentals and where to go to for answers. Good luck!
Message 18 of 18
Anonymous

*sigh*

If only modeling had anything to do with luck.... I'd take a lil of that. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report