Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering Problem With Curved Line

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
680 Views, 1 Reply

Rendering Problem With Curved Line

Hi all, new to the forums and 3ds Max in general. I'm at my wits end here. This is my first time using the program so I may be doing something completely wrong but I need help! I'm trying to model a fender, and I created it by first drawing three lines, attaching them, applying the surface modifier, and then converting it to an editable polygon. This is what it looks like in my viewport.

fender 1.jpg

However, when I try to render it, only the underside renders and any part of the top side that is visible is completely blank, hiding everything. Here is that same fender rendered.

fender2.jpg

It doesn't matter how the object is rotated.

fender3.jpg

It still renders ONLY the bottomside and the top is completely invisible and cloaks everything else.

fender4.jpg

I don't know enough about the program to know what to do to fix this, but it's very frustrating! I've been following a tutorial to learn how to use the program and they don't seem to run into this issue or address it. Here is what is happening in my model

What it's supposed to look like

dropship.jpg

What it renders as

drop3.jpg

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
PROH
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi. In Max (and most other 3d programs) faces are basically only visible from the front side, and invible when seen from the back side. Which side that's front and which back are determined by the "normals" direction.

In your case your objects is backside out, so it needs to be flipped. This can be done in the modifier panel (select all polygons and press "flip") or by applying a "normal" modifier set to "flip". A third solution could be to set the render to "Force two-sided". This will force the renderer to render both sides, and therefore basically also forcing the renderer to calculate twice as much as "needed". So I would recommend only to use this as a quick fix for small models.

Hope it helps

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report