Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove backfaces from an object

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
cabonator
1904 Views, 3 Replies

Remove backfaces from an object

Hi everyone,

unfortunately I have created a model after en update and backface culling on object creation was disabled.
So this new model has backfaces unfortunately.

Is there any way to remove the backfaces from an existing model that has backfaces?
I searched this forum, but didn't found any solution to it.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
RobH2
in reply to: cabonator

One way is to orient the object facing exactly the way you want to see it. Go to the 'Faces' sub-object level (Edit Poly) and in the 'Selection' section, turn on 'Ignore Backfacing'. Now, markee drag around your object. The backfaces won't be selected. Now just hit 'Ctrl+I' to invert the selection and hit 'Delete' on the keyboard. The backfaces will be deleted. 

Depending on the shape, some faces you want might still get selected so sometimes you have to manually alter the selection set to make sure you don't delete something you really want to keep. But this can save you a lot of time if there are 100 or faces to delete. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: cabonator

Backface is a relative concept. They don't exist physically as a separate entity. It is simply a way to visualize the object to avoid drawing the back faces. This can be changed in any moment, as a way of visualization, without any need of deleting faces of any kind.

A different question is to decide what side of the face is considered "front" and what one "back", or to select of not back faces when doing selections, that can result in changing how many faces are being selected. 

Message 4 of 4
bioclone_ax45
in reply to: Anonymous

about  "A different question is to decide what side of the face is considered "front" and what one "back", or to select of not back faces when doing selections, that can result in changing how many faces are being selected. "

The modifier "normal", and the use of the "performance" viewport could help on that.... on the performance visor only front faces are shown, while backfaces can be seen transparent... while on other modes such standard or clay would look almost identical...   I recently found this and now "performance mode" its my favourite way to check if any face is flipped... while before I was looking for strange artifacts to try to notice it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report