Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Projecting UV ever worked for somebody?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
386 Views, 2 Replies

Projecting UV ever worked for somebody?

I recall I  managed to project UV from one object to another with kind of similar topology using  Projection modifier.      It was in max2008.            Did it few times since in Blender, it's hardly reliable there. 

Now I need to do it in MAx again and it does transfer something but doing it much worse than even Blender,  All the UVs on the reference geometry target after the projection holder are getting totally messed up while somehow still resemble what I was going to transfer.  ( 17 UDIM tiles)  

I tried check and uncheck "weld uv" and "test seams".    I recall it's how I did it i max2008  decade ago, something in those checkboxes plus I had to displace source and target a little bit.  

But now in Max 2019 nothing helps.    Do somebody have an idea why?

ps. Does Maya "transfer attributes" work any differently?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
hagen.deloss
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

Great to hear from you on the forums! I think a real world example may be helpful to understand exactly what outcome you are looking for within 3ds Max, would you be able to post any screenshots of an example of the desired effect?

Are you trying to retain the 17 UDIM/multi tile unwrap on your 3d object, or further edit the unwrap? 

I know that if you have multiple UV maps loaded into 3ds Max, after applying a Unwrap UVW modifier to the object, you can click "show the multi-tile in the dialog" to see all your separate UDIMs.

UDIM_example.gif

If you are looking to unwrap a certain object with a "shape" all I'm finding currently are the basic shapes under the projection tab of the Unwrap UVW modifier.

texture map shape.gif 

I hope this information helps! I'm looking forward to hearing more about your project!!

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 3
hagen.deloss
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

Any ideas or questions on my previous post? It would be helpful if you had time to give an update, that way other Community Members can benefit from your process 😄

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report