Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with normal map on cloth simulation

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
breaker200
532 Views, 3 Replies

Problem with normal map on cloth simulation

Hi,

I am running a simulation for a bed cover scene. Everything seems to be fine, except one thing.

When I apply normal map to my texture it gets artifacted:

coverwithmap.JPGcoverwithoutmap.JPG

I am guessing it is because of polygon overlaps with each other. BEFORE the simulation I have preapplied shell effect, self collision was set to 5.

Is there any good practice to avoid these black artifacts, so that I can properly normalmap the texture?

Studio Max 2020 trial.

Thank you in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
PropChad
in reply to: breaker200

Have you tried doing the simulation without the Shell modifier, and apply it afterwards? 

Message 3 of 4
breaker200
in reply to: PropChad

Yes, however it seems it is even worse. When the plane collides it is okay. but after applying shell the part that folds back is simply being eaten by the straight part. 

Message 4 of 4
PropChad
in reply to: breaker200

Other than setting the step low, sub samples higher and self collision higher, not sure how else to solve this.

Hmm. Not sure if this will work, but worth a try. Put the shell back to how you had it originally. Override the material ID's so that the edge, inner and outer are all different (like 1, 2, and 3). Do your simulation. Afterwards, apply an edit poly, and select the material polygons by Material ID's, those of the Edge, and either the Inner or Outer, and delete them. Now try reapplying the Shell. Does it still poke through? You could even try with a thicker than normal initial Shell, delete the Edge and Inner faces, then apply your Shell with how thick you want it. Turbosmooth to smooth it out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report