Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with 'Make Planar' - Weird Axis Orientation

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
3147 Views, 1 Reply

Problem with 'Make Planar' - Weird Axis Orientation

I have a really weird issue within one of my projects.

I have a character. One side was modeled. The other was created using the 'symmetry'-modifier.

So naturally I want to have all vertices on x=0 (mirror axis). When I click on "Make Planar [X]", the vertices get aligned on a completely different axis.

Is there a hidden 'feature' I accidentally enabled? Did I somehow move a global axis?

In a fresh project this does not happen. Problem is: I can't just restart from the beginning.

I hope there is someone who can help me with this.

Thank You

Matthias

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
bob.bernstein
in reply to: Anonymous

I note that your selection of vertices include some (in the head area) that are not actually on your line of symmetry.  That can't be good.  

Max is good about giving you a legitimate alignment of vertices from the front view.  Sometimes if I try in other views it gives me unpredictable results.  So, I'd clean up the selection so that only vertices on the actual symmetry axis are selected, go to front view (set the dropdown box to "world" or "view") and then select the "x" button on the alignment panel 

I made a simple example, my silly box is a jaggedy editpoly object.  I make a copy of the box, and select ONLY those verts I want aligned.  Then I press "x" in the next image.  Third image, the desired outcome.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report