Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLS HELP !! HOW TO MAKE HONDREDS OF HOLES AT ONCE??

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
486 Views, 4 Replies

PLS HELP !! HOW TO MAKE HONDREDS OF HOLES AT ONCE??

Hello,

I've been doing video research for days, and on the internet, I've spent far too many hours of research to come up with anything conclusive.
I would just like to make hundreds of holes at once, I made cylinders well distributed with the Array ,tool to switch to boolean mode to make holes I've never been able to do anything conclusive.

I want to: make hundreds of holes at once that are distributed at the same distance (as in the image).

I would like to be able to move forward on my project after days of research without finding a solution to my problem.

Thank you!

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
irishman_team_kilber
in reply to: Anonymous

make sure the ones on top are going through the bottom of your object then convert down to a poly then attach all the ones on top together, select the bottom mesh you did not attach go to compond objects and then choose boolean now pick the ones on top this will cut the holes all at once.

Message 3 of 5
Marc_Auv

Hi @Anonymous , 
There is many ways to achieve this, here few solutions.
1.) The old way, you are using: select the object you want to distribute in a array grid fashion, then go to menu bar/Tool/Array,.now you could distribute the object in a grid way. Then you could use bolean compound object to do holes picking object one by one (or merging them first)

2.)The lazy way, much more better : Search for a free modifier pluggin call 'clone' modifer pluggin from itoo, use it, then do bolean as '1' solution., but each year or two you will need to wait for develloper to do a recompile for the new 3dsMax SDK, it could be fast or not.since you use a modifier, it's only one geometry to bolean)

3).The cool and most powerfull way : Build you own instancer/clone modifier using MCG...
It exist tons of tutorial for noobs or advanced user about MCG... and lot of them use the clone modifier as exemple.
This is the way to go, because it will not require you waiting year by year for a recompil from the devellopers...and you could build your own modifier for your need.
You will be able to implement clone, as modifier, but also to distribute geometry on each vertices, or on the surface, etc..., wich will allow you to have a tool much more powerfull, and to build the one you really need.
Then use boolean (only need to pick one object for operation).

Bonus : Much more advance could be achieved using Maxscirpt, as it already exist scripts commerical or free, to handle cloning, boolean, or just hole...

Main advantages of solution #2 or better #3, is you will be able to keeps all operations procedurals, so you will be able to fine tweak.

If you found time and courage, i really suggest you to take a look and learn MCG..look a bit complicated first (it is), but that's really a powerfull tool for you to build your own needed modifiers.

AUVIGNE Marc
3D Artist / Freelance

Facebook | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Marc_Auv

Bonsoir Marc,

Peux-tu m'expliquer en détails ce que je dois faire avec le plugin Clone pour ensuite appliquer un effet bouléen pour que tout mes cylindres se transforment en trous .

Je te remercie :))

Message 5 of 5
Marc_Auv

Le pluggin clone (MCG ou itoo), ca te permettre de faire des arrays, mais au lieu de les faire en instancing/copy/reference, à la main ou via l outil Array, il va le faire au niveau sous object, ainsi, tu ne va avoir qu'une seule geometrie (un seul object)…
Derriere il te suffira de selectionner l'objet dans une operation boolean (ou pro Boolean) afin de le soustraire a l'object 'maitre' (si volumique, sinon, en faire un imprint ou un cookie, toujours en soustraction)...et Hop ca fait des choca….heu des trous….

Etant un modifier tu peux donc empiler les 'clone' modifiers les uns par dessus les autre en instance, ou de façon differente (en gros avec 1 tu fait une ligne, avec 2 modifier une grille, et avec 3 modifier tu peux faire une grille 3D de clone, etant toujours via modifier, cela a la fin ne fait que une seule geometrie, d'où lavantage par rapport à l'outil d'array pour ce genre d operation)….

Pour la solution 'itoo', fermer max, suivre les instruction d installation (soit un installer qui va faire pour toi, soit un '.dlm' ou '.dlo' (ou autre .dlx) à glisser dans le dossier pluggins de 3dsMAX, mais, si tel est le cas, des instructions seront fournies)...une fois installé ouvrir 3dsMAX il sera dans la liste des modifiers.

Pour la solution MCG (meilleur choix possible, mais pas le plus evident aux premiers abords, par contre tu pourras creer l outil dont tu as vraiment besoin, ainsi que le partager), si tu le construis toi meme, au moment de l evaluation il sera visible dans la pile de modificateur, puis pour l'avoir a chaque rédémarrage il suffit d enregistrer le '.mcg' package, dans le dossier "<user>/autodesk/3dsMAX <version>/Max Creation Graph / Package" (si non modifié par tes soins).
Si c'est un mcg package trouver sur internet, juste le glisser dans le dossier package  cité ci dessus, redémarrer 3dSMAX et il sera dispo.

Si une certaine topologie est requise, tu pourras soit modifer la topologie par dessus le boolean, soit la prevoir avant avec des boucles d arretes (edge loop) bien pensées au préalable, et pro-boolean a quelque option pour conserver cette topologie initale...Mais bon la cest de la boolean y a pas vraiment a s'étendre sur le sujet (checker vite la doc, faire 2 3 essais pour comprendre, et c'est parti).

AUVIGNE Marc
3D Artist / Freelance

Facebook | LinkedIn

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report