Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel art textures cut off on model

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
608 Views, 7 Replies

Pixel art textures cut off on model

I'm trying to create a very simple box with some textures made from pixel art however the textures are always either cut off or stretched (sometimes both). I think there is a step I am missing for making textures like this but I am not sure what it is. How can I prevent this cut off from occurring? 

Image of the cut off, all the coloured lines should form a rectangle.

30055055_0-1616067952093.png

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Diffus3d
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous ,

There's a couple things that might cause that.  The viewport settings are meant for speed and have to be told to be for quality.   First you might check out this link and set it to realistic to see if that helps.  If not, then it may be your viewport map settings are low.  You might have to make some adjustments in your Display Performance tab to get the maps to appear at a higher res and prevent the stretching (which is likely just bad antialiasing.)  

Any luck?

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Diffus3d

Unfortunately this did not work. The green line needs to be visible around the whole box but the textures still seem to get cut of in some areas and stretch in others. And an important note is that antialiasing is off since this is pixel art.

30055055_0-1616496168348.png

Message 4 of 8
Diffus3d

Maybe a UV issue?  Can you post your box/map?

Best Regards,

Message 5 of 8
leeminardi

You could create 3 images each with an aspect ratio the same as the 3 principal sides of the box. The 3 images you define should be to the same scale.  Then use a multi-subobject material assigning the same material to the opposing sides of the box and fit the appropriate material to each side of the 3 IDs.  

lee.minardi
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Here's the maps, the second one is what it looks like when rendered for the size i am working with

30055055_0-1616586220618.png

box thing 2.png

Message 7 of 8
Diffus3d

Can you also post the box object please?  It's way easier to see the actual setup than have to recreate part of it on this end.  Thanks!  

Message 8 of 8
domo.spaji

Just for the info, for very low resolution images we would have to use "non realistic material" (aka standard) viewport rendering. That way  we get "lower" image filtering.

Also use old Max bitmap loader and turn off filtering for view/rendering in material editor.

There's no filtering in UVW editor.

But that wouldn't help for OSL loaders, images comes prefiltered.

Although, think here resolution isn't problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report