Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normals Problem

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ghostheroineofficial
4408 Views, 2 Replies

Normals Problem

Hello. I have a problem with appearing normals (shadows on the surface). I am sure that i am doing something wrong in the topology. Please one of the good modellers can tell me what i doing wrong and how solve that to make smooth normals? I've also attach two screenshots that showing the problem.normals2.jpgnormals2.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

That can be caused by at least three things:
1) your ceiling-polygon is a n-gon. Model it out properly and chances are that those artifacts on neighbouring faces dissapear.
2) there are some vertices stacked on each other (select all vertices and weld them with a very small threshold)
3) your smoothing-groups are messed up. Assign them properly by hand and most likely it will get fixed by that. But: in the case of your object those rounded corners/edges towards the ceiling will cause problems. Although all the side walls have a hard 90° angle to their neighbours they have a round/smooth transition into the ceiling. You can't solve that with smoothing-groups. Instead assign all object's polygons the same smoothing group and make the vertical corner edge-loops hard edges.

Message 3 of 3

Thanks for the reply. Seems you are right, however, when i tried to fix that the issue still appear. Definetly that i does not have such skill... Maybe i can share you a .max file, so you can edit that and i will look how you did that? Thanks in advance...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report