Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie, please help uniting all parts

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
189 Views, 2 Replies

newbie, please help uniting all parts

I created this without taking any lessons first and boy did I learn my lesson!

Anyway, I need to animate this door. (no problem!)

The problem is that when I move the door to the new position, it comes all apart because I made all the pieces, piece by piece.

So I have tried to highlight select "all" and find something that would make all the pieces stick together like 1 solid piece so that I can move it to it's new position and so far in 4 hours I have not figured it out!

I think I have gone down the whole list of modifiers and "Compound Objects" enough times to create a hedache!

I have searched the help file for "Union" or "Weld" or anything similar and I have browsed the web and googled and nothing.
All I found was a bigger hedache.

Please help.

Lou.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hmmm...

If you want any of those parts to be able to move independently (like the spoked wheel rotating) then you don't really want to attach them all.

For the parts which don't move (relative to the main door) you could simply "Attach" them. If it isn't already, convert the door itself to an Editable Poly object and click "Attach" on the Edit Geometry rollout and click each component part.

The "movable" parts could then be linked to that (using the Select and Link tool).

Or you could just create a dummy and Select and Link all the parts to that - when you move the dummy everything else will follow.

Don't even think about using Groups if you intend to animate it.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!
It worked like a new hire! lol...
I knew it had to be something simple like that!
Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!

Lou

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report