Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Help Needed! Importing Textures to a Furniture Model

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
lisawatercolor
369 Views, 3 Replies

Newbie Help Needed! Importing Textures to a Furniture Model

Hello,

I'm very new to 3DS Max. I trying to use a furniture model but can't figure out how to apply the textures included with it. The .fbx file is easily imported into the scene but how do I load the files from the folder containing the textures?  The .fbx and 2 texture .jpg files from the tex folder are attached.Google and Youtube searches offered no solutions, please help me! 

Thank you for reading this and have an amazing day.

Best,

Lisa, aka Lisa Watercolor

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
10DSpace
in reply to: lisawatercolor

@lisawatercolor 

Hi Lisa,

You have a lot of learning ahead of you.  I'll give you a quick start but to make things look really good you will need to follow tutorials on UVW Mapping and UVW Unwrapping in 3ds max.  And there are many on the internet, but you probably didn't know the right terms to use.  In the screenshot below You can see your scene with Scene Explorer showing the list of objects in your scene and the material editor which shows materials that you can pick from the objects in the scene.  What I did for a really crude quick start was to just drag the dirty leather texture on to the ottoman object and Max automatically placed it in the Base Color slot of the material that was assigned to it.   It doesn't look great because the obje ts are not UV Unwrapped properly.   So your first assignment is to just drag the texture objects you want on to the objects you wan them applied to.  There is a little eyedropper in the Material Editor that lets you choose the material that has been assigned to any object.  So go through the scene and apply the textures you have and view the results.   Explore UVW mapping and UVW Unwrapping in max tutorials. 

10DSpace_0-1696699562151.png

When you get stuck, post questions back and someone here will answer you.   Good luck.

Message 3 of 4

Sometimes an FBX file will already have its Materials included, it's just that the Bitmap files aren't where the Objects are expecting to load them from. If you open the Slate Material Editor and select "Get All Scene Materials" they should appear and then all you have to do is go to the Bitmaps and reload the files from where you have them saved.

This doesn't always work, but when it does it can be a big time saver. You also will often get much more information on what the Material is supposed to look like, as opposed to just laying the Bitmap on it.

Message 4 of 4
lisawatercolor
in reply to: 10DSpace

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, totally clarified what I needed to know.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report