Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot scale these edges apart?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2585 Views, 4 Replies

I cannot scale these edges apart?

Inspired by some of Autodesk's early tutorials I have decided to model a jerry can as an exercise. However, as I try to scale this group of edges from the centre to buff out the sides of the jerry can to give it shape I am not able to, I pull on the gizmo but nothing happens? I am new to the 3DS Max environment, is something wrong?HELP2.PNGHELP1.PNG

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
irishman_team_kilber
in reply to: Anonymous

use the ring tool and that will ring all the edges of the lines you have selected and then you should be able to move them, but this mite change the form of your box

what i do is create box convert down and then seleced edges use ring this will select the ring around the box for example use the connect selecting box and add two segs for example and then use the pinch this will pull the edges apart when you increase the number of the spinner

Message 3 of 5
Fadhil_Farook

You have to change the pivot point for the scale tool mate. From your screenshot, I can say that currently its set to PIVOT point. Change to Selection Center. See attachment

Message 4 of 5
Eznaex

Oh no, I do this all the time by accident. All you have to do is while you have the edges selected, control + click on the vertices in your editable poly to select all vertices on them edges, the gizmo should then be in the centre and you can scale. 

Message 5 of 5
Sammionahi
in reply to: Eznaex

Your response just saved me years of pains, its easy to scale edges together and apart in other 3d programs and it seemed impossible in Max....This is a lifesaver. thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report