Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to model this ?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Waseem_Dabbas
437 Views, 5 Replies

How to model this ?

Hello,
I'm not sure if I'm in the right place for this question, but I was wondering if I wanted to model an architectural tower like this, where do I start?
My question is limited to the mesh shell surrounding the block only. Any advice or opinion on how, or where should I start?

Waseem_Dabbas_0-1716947943180.jpeg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

I see 2 main elements. You can try to make those, place them around cylinder. Deform. Modify so they go on top and under each other. Then meshSmooth with control level 1 to adjust the waviness.
It's a cheat, but you won't be able to make precise and accurate version since it's AI generated anyways. Side buildings have a lot of parts that gradually fade out of existence.

dmitriyshpilevoy_0-1716959952289.png

Message 3 of 6

Thank you for the answer. I think you have given me a good idea. What I also want to know is, what are the best tools to accomplish this type of curved shells? Should I use Edit Poly, spline with surface modifer? nurbs? patch? 

Message 4 of 6

Personally, I would stick with poly. Mostly because I don't have much experience with spline-based stuff, also it would be easier to add or remove geometry using poly, when you need to hide one element of the tower under another and they start to stick out in all the wrong places.

Message 5 of 6

I will try it and inform you when finish.

Thank you very much.

Message 6 of 6

I wanted to share these pictures with you, which are the result of the experiment I had asked about in this post. Thank you, Dmitriy Shpilevoy, for the help you provided. I relied on drawing simple shapes as you advised, with some modifications using modifiers like FFD and Edit Poly. I hope you like it and that my post will be useful to others.

01.jpg

03.jpg

  

  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report