Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to model this chair?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
417 Views, 5 Replies

How to model this chair?

I was frustrated by this chair. I am not quite familiar with modeling still. How can I model this plastic chair. Should I just break them into pieces and weld the vertex together? What method is the most suitable? Many thanks! :cheese:

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Tim_Wilbers
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, break it down into the various pieces.

As the chair is symmetrical from left to right, you only need to make one-half.

I would make the seat, front leg, back leg, arm rest that curves to the back, and the three back pieces as different objects with careful attention to the areas where they will join together.

The Bridge command in Editable Poly is your friend here and can make very clean connections as long as you have matching edges where the pieces will be joined.

It would also help if you had refrence images from a front, top and side view.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks! I know 3 sides reference images is useful. But it is difficult to find these images. I have tried to google it but I can't find one.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Tim is right, model only have than mirror it,

For me, I would just use extuded splines for everything except the seat, for the back just model 3 different splines, and remember when modeling the seat, make the seat the same width and the back, so it blends in nicely. Same with the handlebars and top part (that connects to the handle bars) use a spline, and just scale it accordingly.

At the bottom of the chair legs, I see little extrusions, but can't exacty tell what they are, a more detailed and better quality image would be better. For the seat extude a spline, convert it to an editable polygon, maybe use the cut and tesselate and some other tools, to get the polygons you need to model the lip that goes up at the end of the seat.

Hope this Helps
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks for your tips! It's really helpful. :cheese:
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Is it a good idea to create edit the curve shape by FFD?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report