Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to import textures from model into material library

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
3726 Views, 3 Replies

How to import textures from model into material library

Hi!

Ok, this is a funky problem I have, but here goes...

I have a model, in FBX format, pre-rigged and textured. I am importing it into 3ds Max, and I would like to be able to edit the textures, add alpha channels, etc. in the material editor. 

Is there a way to make the textures on the model appear in the material library without retexturing the whole thing? When importing the FBX, the textures don't show up in the material library, even though the model imports with textures.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Max version? In the Slate editor they should appear in the Scene Materials list (on the left). Drag from there to the View (workspace). In the old editor select an unused slot and use the EyeDropper to pick the material from the object.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thanks for the help 🙂

I'm running Max 2014.

How do you open the slate editor? 

Message 4 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Either click and hold on the Material Editor toolbar button (until the flyout appears) then select the Slate option (the one without the 4 spheres on it). Or open the Compact editor and click on the Mode menu option. Slate should be the default in 2014 - have you changed that yourself?

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report