Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fill a hole cause by 'extrudge' or 'bridge' a polygon?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
6396 Views, 5 Replies

How to fill a hole cause by 'extrudge' or 'bridge' a polygon?

How to fill  a hole cause by 'extrudge' or 'bridge' polygon?

Here's is the scenario :

The model is in 'Edit Poly', and I 'bridge' 2 polygon as shown below :

a1.jpg

The 'bridge' is success. But it will create a hole in 2 polygon which is unwanted in this scenario. ( check image below )
a2.jpg

So, how to fill the hole ?

Here's what I already try :
1. Select the hole using 'Select by border' ( my intention is using 'cap' feature ). But its turn out that hole cannot be selected using 'border' selection.
2. On 'Polygon selection', I select menu 'create', have 'snap to vertex' on, then select each of the vertices, then pop up dialog displaying 'Illegal new face'

So how to fill the hole?
Hope the solution may also work on a hole which cause by extrudge a polygon.

Thanks you,
Forgive my english

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
don_3259
in reply to: Anonymous

hi dear friend here is the render of box i made with results that you want...i model the box the added segments and delete the portion which is not required then i extrude the edges and join the vertex and remove the segment which is not required...thanks

box render.jpg

box 2.jpg

Autodesk Student Amassdor
Guest & Visiting Lecturer
Ali Sajjad
Message 3 of 6
bob.bernstein

Polygons in 3dsmax are one sided.  Even if they appear two sided, that's an illusion.  They are one sided.  You can prove this to yourself, go into object properties and activate "backface cull".  This shows you the reality of your polys.

So, in the illustration you included, the polygons are facing inward.  That's why bridge worked.  If your goal is to have an "outside" of the structure, you need to create that.  I'd suggest doing so before the bridge.  Many ways to accomplish this, but "shell" tool comes to mind first.  If before you use "bridge", you apply a "shell" modifier to your model I think you'll have what you want.  You'll tell it whether you want max to create a wall thickness by adding to the inside or outside or both.  If you shell AFTER you bridge, you'll get something entirely different!  See in the second pic how I have an extra edit poly modifier.  That's where I did the bridge.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Hi Jamaludinsanur3,

I've tried creating ur model and to close the hole Try using the below option

Select the Left and right edges and bridge the edges by giving segments.

Hope it'll be useful for you

F Edge bridge.jpg

Thanks and regs,

Saguj

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: don_3259

Thank you for the info, but our model is different, my model have solid polygon in top and bottom of the hole. This hole is located on the side of the box, this hole that I want to fill/cap is cause by 'bridge'. 

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

@bob.bernstein 
Thank you for the help, I understand the point, I can use 'shell' but it will create another skeleton of my model. Btw, many thanks for mention 'Polygons in 3dsmax are one sided' and 'go into object properties and activate "backface cull"'. This will save a life. Many thanks.

@Anonymous
Hi, thank you, but the vertices & edges which created to fill the hole is not attached/merged to the edge of the hole. It can be seen by moving those vertices. But I can accept this solution since its able to fill the hole and Im not perfectionist. Thank you ^ ^

note for the future :
I read somewhere on untrusted site. Mention that edge in 3ds max can only have 2 polygon. So I think my scenario is not achievable. Not sure if its true.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report