Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a complicated shape

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
983 Views, 9 Replies

How to create a complicated shape

Can anyone help me figure out how to make this shape?  I am using this lamp in a project for school.  I have attempted to create this shape with many different methods.  I tried a Gengon but that did not work and I tried piecing the lamp together with individual pieces but that looked cheap.  Any suggestions
?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

That will be easier done than said. 😉 Following assumes Max2014.

1. Create a 5-sided n-gon shape of a suitable size. Move it to the Origin.
2. Convert it to Editable Spline, select all the Segments, Divide (value 1).
3. Clone the object (as a Copy). Turn on Snaps (to Vertex). Hierarchy Panel, Affect Pivot Only and snap the Pivot to the vertex in the middle of the only edge which lies along the Y axis. Turn of Affect Pivot Only.
4. Rotate Tool, Use Pivot Point (transform centre) and rotate it 180 degrees so you have a mirror image of the original, touching along one edge.
5. Utilities > Reset X-Form.
6. Rotate the Clone back towards the vertical 63 degrees. NB. 63 Degrees is NOT exact, but it's mighty close and should be sufficient for a model like that. If you want perfect accuracy you'll have to investigate Geodesic Domes (BuckyBalls) to find out how to calculate the correct angle.
7. Change the Transform Centre to Use Transform Coordinate Centre (instead of Pivot Point).
Repeat the following 2 steps (8 and 9) 4 times, but omit the clone step on the last one.
8. Clone the Clone object. Select the Original object and Attach one of the clones to it (doesn't matter which).
9. Rotate the original object 72 degrees around Z.
10. You should now have something very close to the lower half of the intended result. At this point the vertices in the middles of the edges are no longer required - select and delete them.
11. Apply a Mirror Modifier and Mirror the object in Z. Apply an Edit Spline Modifier, Spline SubObject level (should already have all the splines in the mirrored copy selected). Detach as a new Shape object.
12. Rotate the new object 36 degrees (around Z).
13. Snap the mirrored object into position by grabbing one of its vertices (at a point) and use 3D Snap to Vertex to position it correctly above the original. Select the original and attach the mirror to it. Convert the object to Editable Poly.
14. You may find that one half has its polys flipped (normals facing inwards). If so simply select them and click Flip.
15. Select all the vertices and Weld them (you may need to increase the Tolerance slightly). Select all the Polys and clear the Smoothing Groups.

What you do with it then is up to you - an easy way to get something roughly like your image would be to clone the object - don't move it! Apply a semi-transparent material to one copy, apply a Lattice Modifier to the other.

5-sided geodesic lampshade

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Steve, I think you're awesome for the time and effort you put into this post (and many others). Great result too.
Message 4 of 10
Steve_Curley

Why thank you, kind sir Smiley Embarassed

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

No, you're welcome. I often feel it's a shame when I see other great answers from you, samab and others, and the OP doesn't respond. I'm sure ajayli868 will though. 🙂
Message 6 of 10
Steve_Curley

🙂
I was half expecting Blakestone to have replied while I was working it out (and typing it all in) 😄
Someone else who deserves some recognition IMO.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

I agree! Blakestone goes to a lot of trouble with screenshots and videos. Wonderful help, for not a lot of thanks sometimes.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

How about the lazy man's answer:

In Extended Primitives make a Hedra.

Set Family to Dodec/Icos.

Set Q to 1.

Message 9 of 10
Steve_Curley

'Cause I'm not lazy? 😛

I tried the Hedra first but obviously missed that specific configuration.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Well, I guess that would work if you want to do i guick... Nice job.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report