Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect simple with complex topology

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
mailVMAWS
404 Views, 4 Replies

How to connect simple with complex topology

Hi everyone,

i am making a redbull can and when I apply turbosmooth to make the can(cylinder) round it still has corners from the edgeloops of the reliefon on top.

How can i fix this? I dont have any clue how to do that.

thanks for replying.

greets from germany,

philipp

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ads_czechoj
in reply to: mailVMAWS

Hi Philipp, did you try to use the OSD modifier (OpenSubdiv)? You can also try to add the Subdivide modifier and then use TurboSmooth or Retopology. I am unsure what the best solution would be without checking the model. Make sure all vertices are welded. 

Message 3 of 5
mailVMAWS
in reply to: ads_czechoj

thanks ads_czechoj,

I've tried all your advices except I dont have retopology because its just a studentlicense I am using.

Unfortunetaly the modifiers didnt change that there are corners when I apply turbosmooth to make it round.

The verteces are all ok...

The problem I see, is:

that I would have to delete edges on the outer ring of the can  to make that part even with turbosmooth. but therefore Id destroy the topology in the middle.

my only approach was to ad more edges, so that there is an equal amount of edges between every corner of the n-gon-cylinder-shape. But that would lead to corners all around the shape.

So what I need is a solution inbetween Deleting and adding edges.

Shall I move every single edge to make it smooth? maybe there is an easier way?

Id like to know how to prevent this from happening aswell.

The maxfile(2021) is attached...

Message 4 of 5
ads_czechoj
in reply to: mailVMAWS

I am adding more details to the attached video. Please let me know if my explanation helped.

Message 5 of 5
mailVMAWS
in reply to: ads_czechoj

wow thank you so much for taking the time to record the video! It could be a youtube tutorial part 1/2!

I think the thing with the segments of the cylinder already did it for me. Next time I plan to insert a complex shape in a Round object Ill give it more segments.

finished the can today.

thank you!

wish you all the best!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report