Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you shrink or enlarge a selected sub-object?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1712 Views, 3 Replies

How do you shrink or enlarge a selected sub-object?

Hello everyone!

As the title says, I'm trying to shrink and enlarge a selected sub-object. I've just started learning 3DS Max, and after scouring the internet for a few days, I still have yet to find a solution.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I apologize for the previous unexplained question explaining my problem, as I'm sure people might not know what a sub-object is.

What I'm referring to is: I'm trying to increase and decrease the size of a selected face of an object.

All help is welcome 🙂

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

are you hoping to Scale the Face to a different size, or make it have more depth?

Expanding and shrinking is a little ambiguous.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

MikeMcKeon77, I appreciate you for replying to my post, but after waiting two days after my original forum post, I could not wait any longer. After searching the internet trying to come up with a solution for a few days, I emailed my Professor several who never once replied any of them, so I instead posted here in hopes someone would reply before the due date of the assignment.

The problem occurred when I was trying to complete a homework assignment. The assignment had various things that I had to solve (which I did not clarify well in my original posts), but for this task I was to extrude a face from a model I created and then resize the face on two axis. I did however, find the solution to the problem by posting a job on upwork.com. Two solutions are listed below for anyone else who views this post:

First solution:
1: Click on the face of the box, right click it, click on Convert at the bottom, then select on "Convert to Editable poly"
2: Right click the object and select Scale.

3: Now select the face you wish to manipulate.
3: Next, select any axis by clicking on one of the three arrows that are displayed in the face of the model.

4: Lastly, drag the arrow in the direction it is pointed to as required. You will then see the face is resizing on the axis that you moved it in.

Second solution; if you wish to move a Vertex (dot that is connected to one or more Edges) or an Edge (line that's made between dots):
1: Click on the face of the box, right click it, select Convert at the bottom and then click on "Convert to Editable poly"
2: Next, select the second icon to the right from the top of the Command Panel. By default the Command Panel will be to the right of the Viewport.
3: Expand "Editable Poly" from the Command Panel by clicking on the "+" option to the left of "Editable Poly", which will then expand and display Vertex, Edge, Border, Polygon and Element. Choose the appropriate method for your required outcome. For this issue, I needed to modify the entire face, so we will use Vertex from the list to achieve the correct outcome.

4: Right click the model and select the Move option.
5: Click on the Vertex you wish to move and three arrows will be displayed. Try moving each arrow to move the Vertex to the desired position or click on the yellow box where all the three arrows originate from. This will allow you to move the Vertex to any position your cursor moves to.
6: Repeat until the desired outcome as required.

Unfortunately I did not know the appropriate terminology for the problem I had and I apologize for that. Learning 3DS Max so far has been really painful. I hope this followup helps anyone who stumbles on this post.

Good luck everyone!

Select "Scale tool" from top tool bar. and select face of box

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report