Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i Perfectly Fit Align or Place an Sliced object/subobeject... to the MAIN obejct

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
1860 Views, 13 Replies

How can i Perfectly Fit Align or Place an Sliced object/subobeject... to the MAIN obejct

Morning,,

Suppose i have Sliced an Object Horizontally so i have two objects Shares the Same Lower and Upper Ends Edges...

They should be Perfectly 100% Fit...   ok for anyhow i have Rotated or Moved one Without changing the SCALE...

and now i want to fit both back together... 

i tried Align and also changed Pivot Z to Max of Lower Object and Min of Upper Object,   because i know how Pivot works... but the Problem is once they're two object each one has his own Individual Pivot Center Point and its Different Center from both...  anyway i guess u guys got my Point...

I want to Put the Object on it Place back again on the Main object...

i even tried to take Shapes from the Border Edges of the main object and Align the Other object to it... its still not Perfect......

is there a Way to Perfectly [Fit/Align/Place] BACK something's [Edges] Over something Else [Edges]...Even after Moving it to any Other Hights or even rotated it....?

Labels (5)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
rendermaster
in reply to: Anonymous

use snap

Ronel Katigbak Pabico

3D Generalist / Animator / Renderer/ Graphics Designer

Autodesk Student Ambassador Platinum
YouTube Channel l Linked l Facebook l Blogs

Message 3 of 14
leeminardi

If you used the slice modifier to create two halves of the same object thus creating two new objects the orientation of the pivots remains consistent.

You may be able to use Tools, Align, Align to place the object back together.

lee.minardi
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: rendermaster

ok i use snap ? to snap what to what? i need the IDEA...

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: leeminardi

This is the Problem  ,, in 3DS .Max file :}

i want to see can you put them back together 100 percent Aligned...  if its possible... and explain to me how...

Thanks Alot ...

Message 6 of 14
leeminardi

I suggest working in an orthographic rather than a perspective view to avoid visual distortions.

The good news, the pivots of both parts have the same orientation relative to their object.  Therefore the challenge is finding a vertex along the edge of one of the objects that should mate with a specific vertex on the other object.  Since the mesh is so dense this is a bit difficult to do.  I thought a vertex in the concave cusp may be easiest to find a vertex on each half that corresponded.

Using snap vertex I positioned dummy001 at the noted vertex of object 1 and then aligned it (but not positioned it) with the pivot of object 1.

image.png

I then linked object 1 to dummy001.

I then found the corresponding vertex on object 2 and positioned dummy002 at it and then aligned it with object 2. 

image.png

The last step is to align dummy002 to dummy001 thus bring the two piece together and aligned.

image.png

lee.minardi
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

can you attach me back the file with ur work? so i can analyze the steps?

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

i wish i have each step as separated .max file if possible... to my email ?

i'm sorry if its too much on you but i never did these steps...

or in a Single file if i can step back....

Ruweshed@hotmail.com

Message 9 of 14
leeminardi

The steps are:

1.  Position a dummy object at a vertex.
  2. Use align to change the orientation of an object's pivot.
  3. Use align to align and reposition one object with another.

Which step  are you having a problem with?

lee.minardi
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

to be honest , i don't know what is the Dummy object ! how i do create it ? which menu?

and this Dummy object will be on Vertex or Segment?  as u said should be on Vertex , so OK any Specific Size for that Dummy Object?  and again Where i create dummy object?

and i never used Align to Change Orientation of a Pivot before, i only use Transform tool box,, to keep Pivot on Center or Max or Min  of each X,Y,Z ,,,  never used Align for Changing Pivot? how is that?

hmmmmmmmm so The Summery I Should Align the Pivot on that Dummy object on Vertex then Align Both Objects Pivots together Hmmmmmmmm??? so they should be Aligned as a Burger and Sandwich for example ! 😃

Please how i create Dummy Object? And Specs of that

And how i change Orientation of Pivot by Align?

Message 11 of 14
leeminardi

to be honest , i don't know what is the Dummy object ! how i do create it ? which menu?

I recommend using google for such basic questions.  Google

3ds max dummy objects

and this Dummy object will be on Vertex or Segment?

On a vertex.  Set snaps to vertex.  

as u said should be on Vertex , so OK any Specific Size for that Dummy Object? and again Where i create dummy object?

Create tabs, Helpers.  No special size for the dummy.  Big enough to see it.  YOu are using it to reference its transform (orientation and position).  You could just move the pivot to the specific vertex and then use align and not use a dummy but I think it was hard finding corresponding vertices on the two objects so I didn't want to screw around with the object's pivot.

and i never used Align to Change Orientation of a Pivot before, i only use Transform tool box,, to keep Pivot on Center or Max or Min of each X,Y,Z ,,, never used Align for Changing Pivot? how is that?

Google 3ds max align  or refer back to where I wrote  ... Tools, align, aling

hmmmmmmmm so The Summery I Should Align the Pivot on that Dummy object on Vertex then Align Both Objects Pivots together Hmmmmmmmm??? so they should be Aligned as a Burger and Sandwich for example ! 😃

Please how i create Dummy Object? And Specs of that

And how i change Orientation of Pivot by Align?

Don't forget google!

Hierarchy, Pivot Affect pivot only 

lee.minardi
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Thank you this is the BEST i can do so far...  i just need spend more Time to find Tricks to Select some Easy & Perfect common vertex or something 😃

but yes i got all your points... 😃

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

I Made it ! 😉

Message 14 of 14
leeminardi

Congratulations!

lee.minardi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report