Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make this surface flat?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
AHM3DRAXA
707 Views, 13 Replies

How can I make this surface flat?

Hi, 

I am modelling an object where I need the corner to be curved but flat curve (Maybe I am not able to express). 

In attached image, we can see the the corner of the object has different shape in original. I tried doing this by adjust vertices and it is not showing the perfect results that I want. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
RobH2
in reply to: AHM3DRAXA

Do you mean you want the curve drooping down the side to be up kind of where I drew the Orange line? Can you show what it looks like after you adjust the verts so I can see what's not perfect?

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 14
AHM3DRAXA
in reply to: RobH2

Okay, what I did is that I started all the modelling from start since it took me just 30 minutes to re do everything. I started this flat surface first and then rotated it around 5-10 degree and the using edit-poly (edge) tool, I drew the rest body. It worked perfectly. Thanks a lot for suggestions and precious time.
Message 4 of 14
RobH2

Glad you got it like you wanted it. Those tools are very handy. The vertex subobject tool is powerful if you use the 'Constaraints (None, Edge, Face and Normal)' as well.

I was going to suggest you use 'vertex subobject' and 'Edge' constraints to just drag those verts up to the top. But, seems like you have it and in remodeling you probably learned a few new handy tricks. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 5 of 14
AHM3DRAXA
in reply to: RobH2

Thanks a lot for the support. Here is what I wanted and finally achieved it.

And yes, these tools are very handy. You can create what you want.
Message 6 of 14
AHM3DRAXA

this image is reference. 

Message 7 of 14
RobH2

Looks nice. And, a tricky one. Yes, you can create what you want and the more you work with them, the better you'll get. It's kind of limitless for objects and hard surfaces like that. There are other programs that are better for complex organic models, but Max is great for things like yours. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 8 of 14
RyanCameron

Sometimes I use the Bevel Profile modifier and create a box with the desired size. Select the object and apply the bevel modifier to it, as it will let you add a curved edge to the object.  Go to bevel profile section and click create and it'll open "create shape" dialog box. In create shape, choose linear for the curve, edit, edit spline, then just simply draw the shape of the curve (flat). Click "ok" to close and apply, adjust as needed. 

I realize you solved it but just showing there is another way.  cheers,

RB Cameron, AIA, LEED AP, EDAC
Digital Practice Leader

Message 9 of 14
RobH2

Ryan, can you give a little more info about the other technique you mention above? I like learning how other people use Max and the tricks they have. However, there isn't a 'Bevel Profile' modifier that I can find. Are you talking about something else and using the wrong name perhaps? It's possible I can't see the forest for the trees but I can't seem to find that modifier, in Max 2023 anyway. I only have one modifier starting with "B" and that's 'Bend.' 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
RyanCameron

You don't have the Bevel or Bevel Profile modifier tool?  <image below>

ryan_0-1676604878164.png

Digital Practice Leader

Message 11 of 14
RyanCameron

I feel like I just gave you a cheat code to a game.  🙂  Enjoy!

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2021/ENU/3DSMa...

Digital Practice Leader

Message 12 of 14
RobH2

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. I was taking you too literally. Your first direction was to create a 'box.' I didn't read that as starting with a rectangle. Got, it. Oddly enough, it's (Bevel Profile) someting I've only used a couple of times in decades and I think I need to visit it again and use it more. Thanks for mentioning it and reintroducing me to it. It's funny how we all kind of use what we get used to and overlook many features of Max that are powerful. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
RobH2
in reply to: RyanCameron

Ha, yea, it does seem like that you gave me a cheat code...lol...  I'll admit, this feature has totally slipped by my radar for decades. I don't ever use text and it looks fantastic for that, but for other objects just as powerfully. I'm going to enjoy playing with it. 

For years I've told myself to go through the modifier lists for both splines and objects and click on every single one and at least do something basic with it so I know it exists. So far, I've never had the time to do that but I need to. I'm sure there are other modifiers that I've never touched that are very useful. 

Thanks again for pointing out this one...

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
jamesbaker

Great sources of knowledge, thanks guys!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report