Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I fix some of my edges that have weird (overlapping?) polygons?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
636 Views, 3 Replies

How can I fix some of my edges that have weird (overlapping?) polygons?

So, I'm trying to do some modelling in 3ds Max and I noticed that some of the edges got very odd after bending an object. Is there any way to fix this?

This is what I'm talking about. As you can see on the purple object there are weird liens and shadows that I don't want. Thanks for any and all help! 🙂

screenshot.PNG

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
bob.bernstein
in reply to: Anonymous

You could be just seeing a polygon that has become non-planar.  The align menu has a "make Planar" button, I'd see what clicking that does with your problem poly selected.  If that doesn't set it right, it may just be a smoothing group thing, you could select your poly and click "clear" button in the smoothing group rollout.  

I'm presuming that this is not overlapping polygons, but rather a single poly that isn't flat.  If it really is two polygons, you would see that when selecting, just delete them, and replace....you could do this a million ways, but one way is to use border subobject mode, once the existing polys are deleted, and then cap.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: bob.bernstein

Hey, that worked out good but I just noticed another problem..

As you can see the smoothing isn't all that good around some edges and I have no idea how to fix it. The smoothing groups are all good and changing them maked the whole thing even more messed up.

Message 4 of 4
bob.bernstein
in reply to: Anonymous

Turn on "edged faces".  Pretty sure you'll see a bunch of unwanted edges gathered at each place you see a smoothing problem.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report