Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edge Connect Workflow

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
PolyBeef
379 Views, 3 Replies

Edge Connect Workflow

Hi folks, 

Apologies if this is completely obvious but is it possible in 3ds Max to create an edge loop with a "constant width" from another loop, Z-Brush does this by holding shift in Z-Modeller but I can't remember seeing this sort of feature in 3ds Max by default?

I've attached a picture to see how the loop crunches around certain sections of the model.

Cheers for your time!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: PolyBeef

Hey man, it´s simple.

My developed method (note the small text beneath the images):

Also note that in this example you just could have looped one of the edges selected in image 3, but sometimes its not possible so you have to go this way or select every edge manually.

1. Inset1. Inset2. Convert your polygon selection to edge selection by clicking on the edge subobject icon while holding shift (which gives this result)2. Convert your polygon selection to edge selection by clicking on the edge subobject icon while holding shift (which gives this result)Deselect the inner edgesDeselect the inner edgesRemove edgesRemove edges

Message 3 of 4
PolyBeef
in reply to: Anonymous

Nice solution thanks! 

I'd started going into MaxScript land to see if it was possible to do it with a button press but that workflow is nice 🙂

Cheers

Message 4 of 4
Swordslayer
in reply to: PolyBeef

When using swift loop, you can click any loop while holding CTRL+ALT and then it will be offset parallel to the surrounding loops (not exactly parallel, it will be a constant distance along edges so with corner edges, inset would be a better choice but in many cases that will be enough):

swiftLoop.gif

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report