Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easier modeling software

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
459 Views, 5 Replies

Easier modeling software

Hello,

I started to work on 3dsMax and I can't get used with it's bizarre way to draw things.

I coming from AutoCAD, Archicad and SketchUp. 

Is there any software that allows you to draw architecture fast and precise as SketchUp but also be compatible with 3dsMax when importing?

I'm an interior designer and I would like to model architecture in a different software and assemble all the pieces in 3dsMax to prepare the scenes for rendering.

Many thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
irishman_team_kilber
in reply to: Anonymous

most people who are use max use the AEC extended walls doors windows. you know you can import a floor plan on a plane then use the the AEC to model architecture building but these windows can become repeative at times all you have is the same old windows and doors,

the only problem is where autodesk cuts into the wall when you place a door or window if you convert down then you will to boolean a box and to cut a hole in the walls.

Message 3 of 6
dgorsman

Technical design is usually done in other software.  In many cases this is Revit or Revit LT, although there are still some on AutoCAD Architectural (ACA) which should now be part of the "One AutoCAD" package.  The Collections usually include both technical design software as well as 3DSMAX as the high-end visualization tool.

Revit should have a decent workflow to 3DSMAX, as should ACA (and even vanilla AutoCAD).  Is there a specific problem you're having getting this content into 3DSMAX?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

A scene that normally took me a few minutes to create in SketchUp is almost impossible to create is less than a few hours in 3dsMax. 

I signed up for a course a couple of week ago and even the teacher and every YouTube tutorial create a lot a boxes to scale thing to them. Its absurd! 

We even did some sort of a contest. We had a complex ceiling that I created in approximately 5 minutes with a clean geometry and the teacher with a few years experience created the same ceiling in 20 minutes with a pretty messy geometry.

It's a huge difference!

From what I understood, 3dsMax is not the solution to draw things. So I tried to import a scene from SketchUp but every time I try to modify something 3dsMax crushes.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

I use  Revit to ease the modeling part. It takes me no more than 30 mins to complete modeling a house now in Revit. I used to do it in 4 hours when I started using Revit. Also, there's an option to draw your component (Family in Revit) Then you can use them to model directly. Then I linked the model to 3Ds Max for Materials and Vray rendering, which is something I am in the middle of right now. Just exploring options and trying to reach realism. It is really great and I am satisfied with outcomes so far. I am attaching some couple of rendered of my model for your reference. There's a Vray for Revit, but I am exporting to 3Ds so I can later export it to a game engine. It is my workflow. 

Yes, most of the workflows in 3Ds start with boxing and extruding unless you are planning to give AES inside 3Ds max a chance to draw walls and windows,  and I understand your frustration since you are coming from Autocad. That's why I am recommending Revit for modeling and 3Ds Max for rendering in your case. If you are insisting to have Sketchup equivalent in Autodesk apps bundle, then Formit is the answer. You can draw in Formit and send to Revit then link to 3Ds Max. I am not trying to confuse you as much as I am trying to let you figure out your best workflow. Because it is all about the workflow. 

There are many tutorials in Youtube for Revit modeling and drawing family and how to optimism family of your creation in your workflow. Explore them first before installing the app. 

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Blender is definitely a go-to software for when people wanna learn a new 3d software because of the user-friendly interface and it's free, check it out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report