Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG Plan and Section to Mesh/Poly

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
zachpeletz
898 Views, 8 Replies

DWG Plan and Section to Mesh/Poly

Hi. I have a set of DWGs that show detail for an object needing to be modeled. I'm wondering what the best tools and methods for this would be. If I use the standard extrude tool then I obviously get one axis looking correct but then I need to get the other side modeled. I'm assuming there's a method for this but am failing to find it. Screenshot below of the assets I have. Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jaboone
in reply to: zachpeletz

Looking at the graphic you provided I assume is a autocad drawing.  If so, extrude the lines as a solid then slice them from the top at 45 degree angle to get your desired corners.  then place the corner in required positions to achieve your final results.

Learning as I go
Message 3 of 9
jaboone
in reply to: jaboone

Its best if they are closed polylines.  That way you make sure you get proper results on all outside edges.

Learning as I go
Message 4 of 9
leeminardi

I assume the area I've enclosed in a red box is cylindrical.  Other portions of the column may be cylindrical as well.   

I would start by isolating the lines I highlighted in yellow and make them a separate dwg file.  Import it into 3ds Max and then adjust the pivot to the centerline as I show.  You can then use the Lathe modifier in Max to get a good revolved surface for the column with the added benefit of being able to easily adjust the resolution.  I have found that it is much better to use this process for revolved surfaces then to import cylinders or revolved surfaces from AutoCAD to Max. 

Once you have modeled one full column in Max you can clone it to make the others.  If you instance the column you can easily change material to all columns.

porticos1.png

lee.minardi
Message 5 of 9
zachpeletz
in reply to: leeminardi

Thanks for this. The columns are actually square. I've found that with the lathe modifier I can set the segments to 4 to create a square but the resulting shape is rotated by 45 degrees. Once I rotate back to the properly angle I see that the width isn't the proper dimension. Do you have any tips on handling this or should I just drag the vertices back to where they should be after performing the lathe? Thanks!

Message 6 of 9
jaboone

Closed polylines is key to any modeling.  The polys can be round and extruded in the height axis.  Plines can have 45 degree corners so the can be fit to any other forming piece of a model.  Stacking closed polylines one on top of another when different widths are required is also an option.  There is also revsurf which is best for complex angle round objects then using slice command to cut the part at any area.

Of course these things takes practice and experience knowing what to do and how to do it.  I like using presspull to extend some faces too, which is very easy.

Learning as I go
Message 7 of 9
leeminardi

If they are square columns you can do the following in AutoCAD:

1. Trace the outline of the column and make it a closed shape. I put othomode on while tracing and did one half of the outline and then mirrored it. 
  2. Make sure the shape is close (I made it a region) and then extrude the shape more than the maximum thickness of the column. 
  3. Make a copy of the extrusion and rotate it by 90° about the vertical axis. 
  4. Position the two solids so they intersect and then do a Boolean intersect. 

The picture below should help to explain the process.

col1.JPGcol2.JPG

Note, you can do something similar in 3ds Max with ProBoolean Intersect.

lee.minardi
Message 8 of 9
hagen.deloss

Hi @zachpeletz

Thanks for bringing your question to the 3DS Max forums! It looks like @leeminardi was able to answer your question, it would be really helpful if you could add a post with how you decide to proceed, and your results. That way other Community members can benefit from your process...and don't forget to select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question 😄

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 9 of 9
zachpeletz
in reply to: hagen.deloss

Thank you. All very helpful approaches. In the end I used the sweep modifier which worked perfectly for this particular example.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report