Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does ASUS ROG GL502VM-DB74 Gaming Laptop work for 3ds Max 2018 or 2017?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2976 Views, 5 Replies

Does ASUS ROG GL502VM-DB74 Gaming Laptop work for 3ds Max 2018 or 2017?

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting on this site so my question may seem a bit oversimplified.

I was wondering if this gaming laptop can smoothly run 3ds-Max 2017 (or 2018):

ASUS ROG GL502VM-DB74 Gaming Laptop 6th Gen Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 GHz) 16 GB Memory 1 TB HDD 256 GB SSD GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB GDDR5 15.6" Full HD 1920 x 1080 Windows 10 Home 64-Bit (VR Ready)

• GPU/VPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
  • Video Memory: 6 GB
  • SSD: 256 GB
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB GDDR5
  • Intel Core i7 6th Gen 6700HQ (2.60 GHz)
  • 16 GB Memory 1 TB HDD 256 GB SSD <--------(Does this really matter? Is 1TB Hard Drive + 128GB SSD fine too?) 

I intend to use 3Ds-Max to create renderings of buildings and interior designs of offices. So, I will not be using it for any animations of moving objects of any sort. Other than that, I will use it for 2D Layouts in AutoCAD.

If this laptop is not fit for running 3Ds-Max (for my purposes), are there any other laptops around $1600 in price that can run 3Ds-Max?

Thank You

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

Should be OK for running 3DSMAX and limited rendering.  I say "limited" since laptops are built for portability - they aren't built to handle the cooling necessary for running flat-out for extended durations.  If you don't need the portability for 3DSMAX use (that 15" monitor is going to drive you nuts...), spend the money to get a better desktop with dual monitors plus a cheap notebook/chromebook/etc. for basic mobile use, or use cloud rendering.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 6
kgokhangurbuz

Hi @Anonymous;

I use a laptop close to this configuration and 3ds Max works like a charm on it.

And yes, 256GB SSD will make huge difference, i'd go for it.

But as it's stated in the previous reply, your rendering capabilities will be limited, mostly because of the low cache on laptop cpu's and cooling issues.

For your purpose, such as rendering interiors and exteriors without huge complex geometries (we always prefer to use proxy objects in such situations, please keep that in mind), this computer will be okay.

Important note: many laptops run 3ds max with their integrated IntelHD Graphics card as default. Do whatever you do, don't forget to change it to your Nvidia GPU to run.

Kind regards;

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

Thank You Very Much! I really appreciate it!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: kgokhangurbuz

Thank You Very Much! I really appreciate it!

I ended up getting a ASUS GL502VS (a little thicker, so better ventilation) with a better i7 CPU and GTX 1070 GPU, so it seems to be working well.

Message 6 of 6
imran.ajmir

need you feed back how asus rog is going with you?? rendering with 3ds max vray??

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report