Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displacement map not working

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
patrickroykirkby
1425 Views, 2 Replies

Displacement map not working

I have a basic editable mesh with an unwrap UVW modifier on it, I have the material I want set and I'm trying to use the same material as a displacement map. The displacement doesn't seem to work. I haven't messed around with any settings aside from changing the value of the displacement. Ideally I want it to extrude the textures of the material.Capture.JPG

Labels (4)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
10DSpace
in reply to: patrickroykirkby

@patrickroykirkby 

It will not show displacement in the viewport, you have to render to see the displacement.  Having said that, if you are using Arnold, then the Standard Material which you seem to be using doesn't work for displacement.  Change the material to a Physical Material and put the diffuse map in the Base Color slot and displacement in the displacement slot of the Physical material.  You can dial the amount of displacement in the Physical material (up to 10) to get more displacement, but the default of 1 should be a good starting point.  You can use Active shade in your viewport to set the amount of displacement to taste.

Message 3 of 3
patrickroykirkby
in reply to: 10DSpace

That did the trick, thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report