Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deselect back faces

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
797 Views, 11 Replies

Deselect back faces

This is a newbie question so apologies but I can't find the answer. I am following a tutorial (http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-7919D14A-A17C-44E3-8697-F444B3C52D4D) and it says to deselect polygons on the front and back faces using Alt-click. When I do this it only deselects the front face. I have "ignore back facing" unchecked as instructed.

I can select polygons on both faces just fine. It is just deselecting that doesn't work.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
don_3259
in reply to: Anonymous

hi 50h9j there is simple solution to this you can also do this by doing this side one by one using a plane then then fuse the vertexes to join all sides let me know i can guide you more in that.

thank you 

Autodesk Student Amassdor
Guest & Visiting Lecturer
Ali Sajjad
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: don_3259

Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't sound like the same as what the tutorial is telling me to do. If I fuse vertices then the model will be different.

Message 4 of 12
don_3259

i am saying to join the sides of this shape if you do this by single side shape not on box...hope you understand

Ali Sajjad
Message 5 of 12
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

Thank you for the descriptive post, it is helpful.  I'd like to help with this selection issue.  I think the tutorial may have an error in it or didn't fully describe what to do.  Alt Clicking will deselect the nearest face but it won't deselect faces that aren't facing the current camera.  It would be necessary to sweep/marquee deselect the backface by holding down Alt and dragging the mouse a tiny bit in that area to deselect the backfaces.  Can you try that for me, please?  Thanks very much!  Please let me know if you have any questions.  

Best Regards,

Message 6 of 12

HI Alfred sir 50h9j is new user that is why he is getting confuse on doing that let see how he can handle it

Ali Sajjad
Message 7 of 12

Hello @don_3259,

The wording of the tutorial does seem to indicate that a single click will deselect both the front and the back which isn't true.  I do think it's a bit confusing.

Best Regards,

Message 8 of 12
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on this issue?

Best Regards,

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

It is not working. I will try and post a screencast tomorrow. Maybe you could post a screencast of how it is supposed to work?

thanks

Message 10 of 12
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

Sure I'd be happy to.  I probably should have done that in the first place.  Smiley Happy  I have a movie below for you, it's super simple.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Thanks for the video. You also need to have the crossing window selected.

Message 12 of 12
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Thanks for the update and information @Anonymous.  I appreciate it!

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report