Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting a plane with a surface.

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Darwin33
5299 Views, 16 Replies

Cutting a plane with a surface.

I have a plane and a surface in different levels, and I want to make a whole in the plane on the projection of the surface. Which is the procedure?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

can you be more specific? you can use shape mege this with merge a shape on a suface

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/ENU/3DSMa...

Message 3 of 17

I tried but with the shape I have in my scene it does not work. I draw a circle and with the circle is working. I ve attached a screen shot so may be you can help me. I applied some modifiers to the plane and to the shape, you can check in the screen shot. I also want to delete in my plane the area occupied by the other surface, that also appear in the drawing. And finally if I dont want to remove the area of the plan, but convert in another entity, can It be done with this order?

Message 4 of 17

Try this draw a box and then a 2d shape in the top draw then move the circle up 2iches above the box turn on edge faces, now go to the compond objects and choose shape merge when you have the box selected. then choose the 2d circle this will cut the cicle into the box

Message 5 of 17

@Darwin33

Try this draw a box and then a 2d shape in the top view then move the circle up 2 inches above the box turn on edge faces on, now go to the compond objects and choose shape merge when you have the box selected. then choose the 2d circle this will cut the cicle into the box

Message 6 of 17

I did and it works, but my problem is why it doesn't work the workaround I have in the upload pic. I have a plane+turbosmooth+displacement and a shape to make the turbo shape, but the max never let me to select the shape. I can select the plane but not the shape. I I try with a circle I can do the hole, but not with my shape.

Why is this happening?

Message 7 of 17

why not just delete the modifers and then use the shape merge then readd the modifers you are making it more complicated then it needs to be

Message 8 of 17

I just delete the modifiers, both in the planes and the surface. I use the shapes like copy so I can apply them a modifier without changing my plane. But my doubt now is that although I could make the shapemerge I couldnt make the hole. I could make the imprint of the projection but not hollow out the plane.I use the option cookie cutter, but never works, only make the projection. I can erase every poligono in the plane but it takes a lot of time.

Another issue is that now I cant come back to the view with color, I only have the wireframe view.

Any help 

Message 9 of 17

you just say " a plane on surface" there is two kind of a plane on surface you can make, there is a hole where you can drop stuff through. you can use a 3d shape and then the boolean

boolean

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/ENU/3DSMa...

boolean operations

or there is the shape merge which you have been using which you cannot get a handle of. you can look on youtube to search for some 3ds max shape merge tutorials to get a better idea

to get the screen back to normal you need to F3

Message 10 of 17

here is one tutorials with the shape merge

Message 11 of 17

here is a Boolean tutorial

Message 12 of 17

thank you for your answer. 

As far as I understand unlike than in Autocad, in 3ds max you shouldnt use Boolenas much. Thus I prefer to use the shape merge method, but it still not work. I checked you tube videos about shapemerge but I never come across with my problem, or if I try to choose the surface like shape operator in the shapemerge window, simply I cant pick it. Then if in stead of selecting the surface I select the editspiline then I can imprint the shape in the plane but not get a hollow. Please c

Message 13 of 17

I cannot help you anymore, i did the best i could i would upload the scene file and see if there is something wrong with your mesh or there is something wrong with your scene file.

Message 14 of 17

) Thank you for your help. I am trying to make a hole with the polyline ( oval shape) in the mesh. I am using shapemerge but there is no way I can do anything.

Message 15 of 17

maybe @miledrizk can take a look at that file or even @brentscannell due to i having a lower version of max i cannot open it

Message 16 of 17
miledrizk
in reply to: Darwin33

Hi,

1- Convert to two roads mesh to Editable Poly so you get rid of all the modifiers mess

2-Select the mesh showing in the image below, go to Polygon sub-object level, select all the

Polygons and click Flip flip.PNG

3-Get out from sub-object level, click ShapeMerge while the object is selected, then pick the shape

4-In the image below you can see that the shape is imprinted on the mesh

shapemerge.PNG

5-Now add an editable poly on top of the ShapeMerge (you can also convert it to Editable Poly)

6-Go to Polygon sub-object level, the imprinted portion should be selected. Now you can use

Detach to make it a separate object or delete it

polygons selected.PNG

------------------------------------------------------
miledrizk@gmail.com
3DS Max 2021, V-Ray 5.2
3DS Max user since 2003 (3DS Max 7)
V-Ray user since 2008 (V-Ray 1.47)
My YouTube Channel http//www.youtube.com/c/MiledRizk
Message 17 of 17
Darwin33
in reply to: miledrizk

Thank you so much. I understand that my error was no flip normals.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report