Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating surface between two objects

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1353 Views, 2 Replies

Creating surface between two objects

Hello,

I am beginner in modelling in 3ds Max. I'm working on a personal project and I'm struggling with the final part of it.

Basically I have 2 imported mash (set as editable poly) an I want to merge by creating a surface between them.

It's about a ring with a flat upper plane (that I removed it) and a negative crest relief.

I have the ring as an object and the crest group as the 2nd object.

What I want to do is filling the space between the oval border of the ring and the margis of the crest so that the graven relief will be under the flat plane level.

In order to better understand please see the attached photos.

I know it is very simple to do it but I need to know every step in order to close the mesh.

Thanks a lot!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You could use the Bridge tool in Edit Poly. Don't try to do it all at once, create a few bridges in strategic places around the circle, with segments where needed. Then cap the remaining holes.

The inner object does look complex, so it may need a little work to avoid any overlapping polys. So it may be best to start by building around the inner object, so it becomes more rounded on the edge.

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Bridge will work, but alternatively, you can create one "starter" face with the bridge tool, then cap the rest with a large ngon and add the segment edges between vertices of the ngon manually.  This will give you more control over topology, but will ultimately take longer as a result.  Other options include Maxscript or the use of some plugins that could assist in a task like this.  For example, there's a Quad Cap Maxscript available, which will create a clean polygonal grid surface, instead of an ngon, as the capping operation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report