Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cornetto Model Help needed!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1010 Views, 10 Replies

Cornetto Model Help needed!

Hello,

Basically as I said in the title, I am having great difficulty modelling a Cornetto wrapper properly.

It curls around over itself  at the bottom, and I just cant get it right.

I am getting pretty desperate now, and really need a tutorial on how to do this correctly.

Please please help!

Thanks

Adam 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
miledrizk
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

I made this quick screencast, hopefully it can help you in what you're trying to do

------------------------------------------------------
miledrizk@gmail.com
3DS Max 2021, V-Ray 5.2
3DS Max user since 2003 (3DS Max 7)
V-Ray user since 2008 (V-Ray 1.47)
My YouTube Channel http//www.youtube.com/c/MiledRizk
Tags (3)
Message 3 of 11
miledrizk

Sorry for the duplicated post!

It didn't show up the first time after posting it even after many refresh and many

Closing Chrome and signing in again! and now i see it duplicated!

------------------------------------------------------
miledrizk@gmail.com
3DS Max 2021, V-Ray 5.2
3DS Max user since 2003 (3DS Max 7)
V-Ray user since 2008 (V-Ray 1.47)
My YouTube Channel http//www.youtube.com/c/MiledRizk
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Hi mate,

No worries on the duplicated post.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do the screencast.

My problem is not so much the shape but having the artwork create the shape itself like in real life.

I have attached two images, one explaining how the wrapper works and how it wraps over itself.

The other is how far I got with doing it in a test. The problem is that this method was with mapping and is only good from one angle.

I need to be able to replicate the whole thing and view it from all angles.

Thanks again for your help so far!

Adam

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Hi mate,

No worries on the duplicated post.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do the screencast.

My problem is not so much the shape but having the artwork create the shape itself like in real life.

I have attached two images, one explaining how the wrapper works and how it wraps over itself.

Cornetto_Help.jpg

The other is how far I got with doing it in a test. The problem is that this method was with mapping and is only good from one angle.

My Test.jpg

I need to be able to replicate the whole thing and view it from all angles.

Thanks again for your help so far!

Adam

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

You seem to have already the texture warped around the cone. You are then forced to follow the seams that appear in that texture. I would suggest using the cut tool, that will  create a border with the same shape than the paper border and clean his geometry. Then you have plenty of options, if you want the border a bit detached you could duplicate the geometry of the border to simulate that effect and move a bit away of the cone as the paper does. Then you need to integrate it back to the main cone, something that can be done in many ways.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks mate,

I have tried the cut tool before, but as the texture I applied is not identical to the artwork shape (cutter). 

It doesn't give me anything to follow and will be just guesswork. It also doesn't give me the overlap.

I would really like to start with a flat artwork plane and curl it to be exactly the same as a wrapper is in reality.

(I am just struggling to do this accurately). 

I can quickly change artworks as the design changes then, without having to tweak the texture in photoshop each time to suit a particular angle needed.

Thanks again

Adam

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

You basically want to warp the geometry but keeping the geometry dimensions, that is typical of cloth simulators. It could be done with Marvellous Designer using pins and a relatively rigid cloth. You could start with a cone, create a fabric that matches the cover of the cornetto texture dimensions and wrap it around the cone. Not sure if Max cloth supports that. It would be a trivial task for somebody knows to use Marvellous designer.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

That sounds more like what I am trying to do, yet another bit of software to learn "who would be a 3D Artist eh?" 😉

Is there any other way of constraining the geometry in MAX while I bend and twist the shape do you think?

Thanks

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Not that I now. Deforming geometry keeping dimension is cloth simulation plus dynamics.

Another possibility is to 3d scan a cornetto, overlap a cone and use the cut tool to follow the cover seams. Then you can skin the UVs. It would not include the overlapping parts but they are not visible anyway and simply need to be outside of the UVs. If you need to do some corrections to the Photoshop texture to match it you could use warp transformation in a smart object that will keep the original proportions of the texture. But 3d scan is another external tool to learn.

Finally, without 3d scan, you could also take 4 photos of a corneto and use them as reference in 4 reference planes for the cut tool. It could be a bit messy but probably can be done. But again I would leave the overlapping parts texture out of the UV.

This is simply me guessing the cut without references. I would not be able to make the edge straight without repeated blind guesses.  But with photo references could be more exact

Image 022.pngImage 021.png

I know none of these solutions are a couple of click solution but waiting somebody else can suggest anything better, they are possible solutions.

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: miledrizk

Not really sure about what problem you are mentioning, but adding a shell or Normal modifier might help 🙂 based on what I can see in viewport 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report